Hi, Welcome!

The community is a safe space for people living with and connected to arthritis to ask questions and share experiences. Get started by registering here and posting your first comment or question!

Sign In with a Versus Arthritis account

Knee replacement surgery/pain at night

Hi, I had a total knee replacement 8 days ago and I’m finding it really difficult to sleep for more than a couple of hours because of the pain. I’ve been prescribed paracetamol and gabapentin. I was also given tramadol which I’m reluctant to take as I’m allergic to opioids. I’m finding I can’t get comfortable and although I’m dropping off to sleep, it’s broken sleep, and I’m checking the time to see when I can take the next dose of painkillers. Can anyone offer any advice please, is this normal and will it improve as time goes on? Thank you.

Comments

• PeterJPeterJ Posts: 35 mod

Hello @Millie1967 sorry to hear about your pain from your operation but hopefully it will be better for you once the pain goes and your knee replacement helps your mobility.

Have a look at our website and also one called escape pain, I've added a couple of links below that hopefully might help

I hope your pain gets better soon

Best wishes

Peter

• Thanks Peter. I’ve looked at some of the links you’ve included and it’s reassured me.

• Please call your doctor and ask about pain relief- you do not need to suffer. There may well be other options that could be added into the plan which would make the difference

• frogmortonfrogmorton Posts: 26,334 ✭✭✭✭

Hi @Millie1967

I always have a lot of trouble sleeping post op I think most people do.

It will improve it really will day by day then week by week you will get back to some sort of normal.

8 days is nothing you have done very very well and should be proud of yourself.

((()))

take care

Love

Toni xxx
  • Hi Millie, I had a knee replacement a couple of years ago, the first few weeks were really difficult & I got through them by sleeping whenever I could & not putting myself under any pressure to do anything other than focus on getting the knee moving. I found ice packs & meditation to be the most helpful thing for me.it is a massive operation & takes some time to recover from, give yourself a break, be very nice to yourself & take it easy. Good luck...do the exercises!