Increasing arthritis pain

Options
Sheila83
Sheila83 Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:06 in Living with arthritis

I have had arthritis in my hands for some years, but it has never been bad enough to really affect my life. Within the past month it has become much worse. I am an artist working with fabrics through embroidery and print, so you can understand my worry.

I have had steroid injections in the past which have been very effective, but the last one I had has not been so good. There was a long gap because of Covid and my doctor only just started up his clinic recently. I'm just wondering whether there is anything else I can do to manage, or reduce the pain in my thumb joints.

Tagged:

Comments

• Poppyjane
    Poppyjane Moderator Posts: 748
    Options

Welcome @Sheila83 to the online community

The pain in your hands has been manageable until the last month since then it has become much worse. You have come to the right place to share your worries. There are numbers of members who have similar concerns and I am sure that they will be able to relate their ways of coping and treatments they have experienced to you.

Meanwhile I attach some links which you might find helpful

I hope that you have time to browse the website because it is packed full of information and a lot of support from everyday people who share their ways of coping with life with arthritis. There are also sections on art, craft ,gardening etc. It is a safe place to have a moan when we are having a dark day and a place to share our achievements when things go right.

So do come back to us and let us know how you are getting on.

Take Care

Poppyjane

If it would be helpful to talk to someone ring the Helpline 0800 5200 520

Monday - Friday 9.00a.m. - 6.00p.m.

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,414
    edited 17. May 2021, 05:51
    Options

Oh dear this is so tricky for you @Sheila83 being an artist.

There are lots of things you can do for your hands - some on here have used warm wax baths (as mentioned) for theirs, but it sounds as though you need something for when you are working too?

Have you thought about neoprene fingerless gloves for arthritis? If you google it you should get options.

My thumbs have both played me up with OA and luckily after a while settled back down leaving me with only a lump and some weakness as a reward Yours might well do the same, but they might not of course. If the injections have worked well in the past it might be worth one more go. Then finally it might be that the surgical option is your last resort.

Take care

• Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992
    Options

I wear these:

you can get them from your Occupational Therapist or buy them on-line for around £40, they really help support the thumbs. I have trouble with my hands too and no longer paint, I do however make models and manage around 10 minutes at a time before having to hava a rest.