Join me in losing weight with arthritis

Options

Comments

• Wellerrussell
    Options

I am 55 and I have psioratic arthritis which is in my feet and they have been disformed now can’t bend my toes, arthritis in my knees and coming in my back and hands,I can’t do physical exercise to burn calories, so now i am calorie counting, my son got us a weighing machine called renpho and we have downloaded a app called my fitness and so we weigh ourself then we do a food diary on my fitness and we log it all down and it tells you how many calories you have left to use up, it was hard at first but you can eat whatever you want but counting the calories so most of the time it is reduced portions, I must say i am well impressed, I started last October at 12 stone 13 lbs, and now i am 11 stone 6 lbs, i am 5ft 7 and i am gradually getting in my dresses I couldn’t get in, with the renpho weighing machine it tells you how much water percentage you should have in your body, and most of the time when your hungry your body is thirsty but we eat instead of drinking, I have been overweight for years and this is the first time I’ve lost weight and definitely recommend people to try it at least, I even didn’t put on weight over Xmas and I thought I would as I still had a few naughty moments

I don’t mind if you want to ask me more question

from Tanya

• Brynmor
    Brynmor Member Posts: 1,755
    Options

Hi @Wellerrussell and welcome to the Online Community.

Congratulations on losing weight, especially over the Christmas period. You may be interested to take a look at our Eating Well page on our website that has some great advice on maintaining a healthy weight with a balanced diet which will be needed in the longer term:

Do join in across the Community, ask questions and give support, or call in to let us know how you are getting on. You will be most welcome.

Best wishes

Brynmor

• Brynmor
    Brynmor Member Posts: 1,755
    Options

Hi @Lilyfreya welcome to the Online Community, lovely to have you here.

A new diagnosis of arthritis in your hip and knee can be very worrying. There is some good information on the website that may help with any concerns you may have:

and for the hip:

They both include information on weight management.

Well done for being so determined! Do join in across the Community, ask questions and give advice, and do call in to say how you are getting on.

All best wishes

Brynmor

• Shaphron
    Shaphron Member Posts: 74
    Options

Hiya!

Missed last week, life happens, and all that. Mostly not feeling up to it (and the heat isn't helping this week!)

But have weighed again, and I've lost 3 lbs from last weight (3 weeks ago) so that's slow but steady weight loss. I know I should probably be trying harder to make thi go faster (I have so much weight to lose according to the doctors 😔) but I'm telling myself it's better to do this in a way which I can keep up and not just gain it back again, which if I do a drastic diet I'm afraid will almost certainly happen.

I feel I've done a pretty good job of cutting out snacks. I have the occasional milkshake, I have some shortbread with my tea a couple of times a week, and this week I have had a couple of ice creams as well, but that's it. Chocolate has gone, random snacks have gone. I do still miss them, that hasn't gone away, but it's getting easier to just not have them. It's still a problem when the left-over snacks from when the kiddies visit are sitting there, visible and staring at me.....

It's lovely reading what the rest of you are up to and what's working for you. I'm so impressed with how well people are doing!

If in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

• crinkly
    crinkly Member Posts: 148
    Options

I'm also going slower than I'd hoped but 5lbs in 4 weeks is a start and I'm determined not to go into reverse - which has been the case with previous attempts. Have to remind myself that, without weight-bearing exercise, it can't be quick and I need to be content with small steps. 😕

• wazz42
    wazz42 Member Posts: 233
    Options

Just read all through the comments, wow, a number of determined people. I think it's great we don't have to say our weight or what diet etc but concentrate on tips - to avoid sliding and to give encouragement.

I lost 3 stone to have my knee replaced. I was exactly on the borderline weight and the waiting list was long and I would have cried if I missed my chance. But since then I've gently got heavier and now I'm more than I was pre knee. I've tried and failed this past year and found it hard to understand until I read this by Stickywicket

"Crinkly, you don't need added will power. I read your thread on post-shoulder-op exercises and know you can do this."

I just need to know I have done it before and I've got Daisy new knee going well so 'just do it' I won't get cross if I put on, I know that overall I can get this done.

I've got my weight now written down. I know my breakfast is great, I have plain yogurt and fruit. I find lunch difficult, I need to investigate a few lunch options that are tasty and 'cheap' in carbs or cals. Tea I can manage if I cut down or out on the spud type part of it. Then is the time I can snack for Wales - for some reason I've got into a chocolate something or a pudding or both in the evening. I'm trying a sugar free sweet or two in the evening if I have to have something but it's hard.

Tips gratefully received, thanks for the encouragement just being here gives

wazz x

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options

@wazz42 I'm pleased if my comment was helpful but, really, it's crinkly and you other guys who are putting in the hard graft. I've been fortunate enough never to be really overweight. Any time I've hit 10 stone I've just given up sweet stuff until i reached the more comfortable later 9 stone regions. My ways of doing this are:

1. Don't buy it. 

2. If you must buy it because others in the house don't wish to lose weight, put 'it' where it's really hard for you to access and will give you some good exercise if you try. (I still keep biscuits in a hard-to-open tin on a bottom shelf just above floor level. I have to really want one to even try.)

3. Desserts / afters etc. Don't have any but tell yourself you can if you really want some. You'll just have to go back for it. Right now, fresh fruit and zero fat and sugar yogurts are good. Though, frozen fruit is both good and cheap.

4. I do often have a biscuit with my mid-afternoon cuppa. Right now it's more likely to be a packet of crisps with a glass of wine / cider out n the garden. I've discovered Scrapples - a healthier fruit substitute for crisps, allegedly for kids but why should they have all the fun?

5. Over in California, when visiting my son, I have salad every lunchtime. The supermarkets do amazing individual ones. Mixed leaves with heart of palm, artichoke hearts, pine nuts and raspberry vinaigrette is my favourite. Still searching over here.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • wazz42
    Options

Hi Everyone,

Well last week was really great, I had one 'set' of grandchildren over for the week which was great! I was brave and arranged to take them out to a ninja adventure thing, rather like the soft play with slides and jumps for adults. How I wanted to join them (and lose pounds!! in the process). Sadly these weren't available in my day as a child/teen.

Of course this led to ice cream and puds and such, I didn't stress out but I did recognise what I ate, I didn't weigh this morning because I was on automatics and forgot but I'm hoping it won't be too drastic - I will let you know tomorrow. I did do more activity in general which is good and if the weight has gone up I shall be OK and start from there.

Hope you are still getting there Crinkly, small steps add up over time

xx

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,742
    Options

I need to join this group. 🙄 I was feeling smug at losing nearly in stone in the first lockdown, mostly as I wasn't working so wasn't stress-eating biscuits all day. It slowly piled on again after I returned to work, but then lost another half stone in the few weeks post surgery, not by trying but I think my body just didn't know what had hit it! But yes, most of it is back. Not helped by the mountain of "get well soon" chocolates I was given.

I've almost completely given up alcohol - it didn't feel right washing opiods down with wine, and I now find I've lost the taste for it. Giving up chocolate and biscuits is harder, but that's about all I eat in the way of junk food. I've dropped crisps etc, and don't drink anything other than tea or water. We don't do puds other than fresh fruit, my husband does the cooking so it's mostly low fat meat and veg, but rather heavy on the carbs as he's bordering on athletic at 65, so needs his fuel. But we do the small plate rule, ie he serves mine on a smaller plate. To start with it meant the same amount just got piled higher, but he's got the hang of it now.

I know my size 10 - 12 days are long behind me, but I need to shift nearly two stone. Oh the joys of menopause and not being able to exercise (or give up chocolate!). I did the 5:2 diet a few years ago with some success, so may give that a go again.

For those of you losing one pound a week, that's the way to go. I was told to aim for that. Don't feel disheartened. Sudden weight loss can result in rapid weight gain, but slow and steady stays off longer. Keep going!

• wazz42
    Options

Just nipping in to record a 1lb loss! I am surprised, I thin it was down to the g'ch keeping me busy, especially the 2 nights when we also had an 18 month old staying too!

Just got to keep up being good now when the Team aren't here to encourage biscuits. Might have to go for a high cupboard, taking Sticky's advice again. I found Scrapples! They can be got in the UK too, that might be a good way to go.

Glad you are joining us @Lilymary - I shall enjoy reading how you are getting on as you have managed this in the past like me but need to revisit what worked.

Love to all the group

xx

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,429
    Options

What a great thread this is.

Well done everyone you are doing so well.

🙂👍️

• Muffintop
    Muffintop Member Posts: 3
    Options

Hello all I’m new here! I came across this site last night as I spent another night not sleeping due to terrible pain. I need to lose weight.

I am 49 and have had rheumatoid arthritis for 25 years. I’m wheelchair bound, but I’m determined to make the changes that are needed in order to make myself feel healthier. I CAN do this. I need to lose in excess of 10 stone. I’ve just weighed myself for the first time in a very long time and even though it was difficult to accept the figure on the scales, it has inspired me and given me the push that I’ve needed for a long time.

I feel that messaging here weekly will also be another reason for me to avoid the little voice in my head that says “ it’s a difficult day as it is, have that extra packet of crisps, you can always start tomorrow”.. that little voice that gets itself heard no matter what! 🙄

So here I am at day 1, I’ve just had yoghurt and fruit for breakfast, and I’m about to do a wheelchair exercise class that I can follow online. Let’s get that heart rate pumping.. good luck to you all and I’ll let you know how I getting along as often as I can 😊 xx

• PeterJ
    PeterJ Administrator Posts: 887
    Options

Hello @Muffintop and welcome to the community. We are a friendly and supportive group and I hope that will be your experience as well.

I understand that you have had rheumatoid arthritis for 25 years and are wheelchair bound which makes it harder in your quest to loose weight but I'm glad that you have determination to do so. Also really pleased that you found this conversation as I was going to direct you to it. Our website contains a lot of useful information which you can search on and I've put a couple of links below to help get you started.

It's good that you have found an exercise class. Have a look through the following as well

Please do keep posting and let us know how you get on and I am sure others will be here to support you on your journey

With very best wishes

Peter (moderator)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Lilymary
    edited 11. Aug 2021, 17:58
    Options

Well done @Muffintop and welcome to the crew. Those reward foods are stinkers aren't they. I've just eaten a pile of biscuits to get me through a tough bit of work. I never learn. Sometimes the hard part is deciding that today is the day, none of this "diet starts Monday" stuff. I must follow your example and Make That Commitment! Keep it up!

• wazz42
    Options

Hi @Muffintop Welcome to the discussion. It's really hard to lose weight when you are on your own, well it's hard at any time but with some helpers here it does get a bit easier.

I don't fudge when I write on here which is the great thing and I know (because that's what I would do for someone else) that I will get support to keep going rather than sympathy.

Take care wazz x

• Witwicky
    Witwicky Member Posts: 2
    Options

Hi All, I have discovered this post and read all the comments with interest as I am 50 and I am in need of a THR. I emigrated back from Australia last year and I was on a waiting list in Australia which was suspended due to COVID. Once I arrived in the UK again (I left 17 years ago) I registered with my GP and got a referral to discuss my hip op. I was advised that I needed to do conservative measures before going on a waiting list this involved:

a) regular pain medication - I was only on paracetamol and occasionally ibuprofen

b) at least 6 months physio - hip exercises to build muscles

c) weight loss management (need to be below 40BMI)

I have been doing a) and b) now since Feb and I am on naproxen and codeine for the pain, which is bone on bone so pretty serious. I have started to walk with a stick this year and struggle to walk anywhere for more than a few minutes. I feel my hip cracking and I also have a tear of my medial meniscus in my knee which is also very painfuil. As a result the c) weight loss has been pretty non existent. I managed to lose 5kg and put it back on. I have just done a month of Orlistat and that has ended with on 2kg weight loss so not enough to continue being prescribed.

I have just applied for a blue card so I can park closer to areas I drive to and we will see whether I get one of those as I think it will be quite a wait for the hip op.

I have a follow up physio session next week and if they won't put me on the wait list I will look at private surgery.

My questions are:

How are people exercising when the pain is too much?

Have people much experience of private wait lists vs public? ; and

Is it essential to have lost weight before private surgery? I have heard that it is not but interested what people have heard!

• Anna
    Anna Moderator Posts: 975
    Options

Hi @Witwicky and welcome to the online community,

It can be difficult to exercise when you're in a lot of pain, but well done for wanting to keep going - it's so good for your physical and mental health and will certainly help you to lose weight.

This is a friendly and supportive community of people and I'm sure you'll find encouragement from hearing the experiences of like-minded people - it's great that you've joined this conversation.

You might find the following Versus Arthritis link helpful - it's a list of hints and tips from people who are trying to exercise to reduce their pain:

Best wishes, and keep posting!

Anna (mod)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Muffintop
    Options

Hello all! 😊

Ok so week one is over and I’ve been pretty good I think! Cut out all snacking, and filled up on fresh fruit and vegetables. Cut to the chase, I’ve lost 2lbs! Not a huge loss, but a start .. little steps will get me there in the end 😊

I hope everyone is staying positive, we are all in this together and can do this!

I will check in next week, although I will be on my period so prepare for a 10lb increase 😛

Have a great week xxx

• Lilymary
    edited 17. Aug 2021, 18:28
    Options

I have eaten my body weight in biscuits today. Again. I am on the naughty step. However, I have just stoically waded through the mountain of chocolates I got for my birthday (life can be so hard sometimes 😉😂), so with that hurdle out of the way, I will try to recalibrate my calorie intake. I am avoiding the scales atm for obvious reasons!

Hi @Witwicky , welcome to this forum. I sympathise with the pain vs exercise thing. Before my THR in April I couldn't exercise at all due to the pain. My job kept me fairly active, and I could potter round the garden (grunting a lot), but that was it. I hope the link Anna posted will be helpful. I can't really give weight loss tips as I'm so rubbish at it these days. I need to lose at least 1.5 stone. I lost nearly a stone during the first lockdown, simply because I wasn't working and comfort eating when stressed, but it all came back on. I also lost half a stone after my THR as my body couldn't believe what we had just done to it. It's all back again now 🙄. But I did do the 5:2 diet years ago and that worked really well for me, so I'm working up to starting it again. Mind you, that was pre-menopause and arthritis, so it's going to be a bit tougher this time round. It really helps if you read "The Fast Diet" by Dr Michael Mosley and Mimi Spencer first and start the diet when you get to the end. It's easy to read (or I wouldn't have got through it) and really helps you understand all the health benefits, which is really motivating. I definitely felt much better generally when I was on it, as well as losing over a stone and keeping it off for quite a while. This is different to the "Fast 800" diet, also by Michael Moseley, which is shorter term but more radical, and seems to be particularly aimed at managing blood sugar levels/diabetes, so I decided to give the 5:2 another go. At least you only have to diet two days a week, which is bearable. I still can't exercise much yet, but every little helps.

Well done @Muffintop, keep it up!

• crinkly
    Options

Hello All.

I've been tardy in posting this week because I didn't want to admit that I've added 1lb due to my failure to curb sugar-loaded snacking while things are a tad stressful. 😕

Having moved into our new house seven weeks ago we are reaching the end of the box unpacking but it's almost as bad as the last stages of packing up. Loads of small items that defy categorising and don't seem to fit logically into the cupboards that we've imported/upcycled to suit this lovely eco-house. The house is exactly what we dreamed about but the open plan ground floor and smaller bedrooms leave little space for 'clutter', photos or pictures.

I've been waking during the night wondering where to put the 'treasures' of a 53 year marriage, the books and craft materials kept on hand for visits by our seven grandchildren and all the mementos of a great family life.

Down-sizing is difficult but I know we will soon end up with the home of our dreams that will be so much easier on my OA than was the three-storey, 6 bedroomed Edwardian house we left behind.

So I have to clamber back onto the wagon, resolve to refuse the tasty snacks that add no weight at all to my lean and hungry husband and take it one day at a time as I endeavour to lose just one pound at a time towards my goal.

• Muffintop
    Options

Hey everyone! 😊

Hope you all are doing well. I’ve managed to lose 3lb this week so I’m really happy! I really didn’t think I was going to lose anything as it’s been a bit of a tough week so not able to exercise as much as I’d have liked to.

Ive managed to make sure that I hit my 5 a day with regards to fruit and veg, and I feel it’s really helping me. I’m staying positive and really feel that I can do this if I just carry on taking it day by day instead of focusing on just how much I really have to lose. 1 pound at a time 😊

Good luck to everyone, we can do this together! Xxx

• crinkly
    Options

A better week; have lost the 'naughty pound' plus two more so may, at long last, be starting to win the battle of the bulge. Only 6lbs in eight weeks but the last moving box has been unpacked and the feeling of stress has emptied with it so am more optimistic generally. 'Only' 2 stones 12lbs to go -0 I could be on here for a very long time! 🤔

• Lilymary
    edited 24. Aug 2021, 10:48
    Options

Well done everyone! I've decided to put this picture of orangutans on my chocolate and biscuit supplies. On the basis that they contain palm oil, and palm oil plantations are a major cause of habitat loss for the poor creatures. They look sufficiently pleading to put me off. (I know it would be easier to simply not buy them, but every now and then there's an emergency that can only be fixed with a biscuit.)

Has anyone got any good tips for nice low sugar low cal snacks that aren't the equivalent of eating cardboard? I find most low calorie versions of biscuits and cake unpalatable.

• wazz42
    Options

Hi Everyone,

Last weigh in on Monday showed my weight had stayed the same, which is great. I had grandchildren over for the week so although I ate more I was more active just getting through each day.

I have noticed this week though it is hard to go back to the no biscuits or healthy treats only. I'm trying, and hoping next week when I should be a bit better painwise that it will get easier.

xx