Can I recommend a product?

Options
Flanman
Flanman Member Posts: 4
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:06 in Living with arthritis

I'm a new member but I wanted to share something I have discovered recently. I have arthritis in a few joints, mainly the right ankle, made worse because of over-planation. Recently I discovered some insoles which help so much I can walk so much further, pain free. I know it would be advertising for them but I just wanted to share this. It's the best thing that's happened for me since Naproxen! so can I talk about them?

Comments

• Shell_H
    Shell_H Member Posts: 548
    Options

Hi @Flanman - welcome to the online community!

We do tend to welcome recommendations if something has gone well, but we do not like posts which seem to be trying to sell or promote products. This is a hard line to walk. The relevant section of our guidlines is here (it's very short!)

So, I would suggest you make a new discussion where you talk about how your arthritis has affected your life, and walking, and say that this insole (name insole) has worked well for you, but do not post any links to the product or promote it too hard. Just a recommendation that it has worked for you, and leave it at that. As an organisation, Versus Arthritis is very careful about what we endorse and what is promoted on our site. A personal recomendation from a member is fine, but I'm afraid we can't allow any more than that.

I hope this makes sense and you understand what our position is. Do get in touch we me or any of the admin / moderator team if you want any more information.

It's lovely to meet you!

Shell

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,427
    Options

We members are super-sensitive about any hint of 'snake-oil' here @Flanman as fairly regularly someone tries to 'sell' us a cure. If there was one I am certain it would be available on prescription.

Someone whose first post is telling us of a cure tends to raise the antenna.

If it's ok with the mods do share - I for one walk daily.

thanks

• Flanman
    Flanman Member Posts: 4
    Options

Thanks for the advice, guys. I will try not to sound too keen.😁

• Karin262
    Karin262 Member Posts: 3
    Options

Hi. I am new to this. I just wanted to know if anyone is taking part in 'stuffthatworks' crowd harvesting of data about medical conditions. I have been diagnosed with OA recently and am trying to avoid taking medication if I can help it. Weight exercise and diet have already been addressed and will take a while I guess.

It would be great to get an opinion from someone here.

Thanks

• chrisb
    chrisb Moderator Posts: 682
    Options

Hi @Karin262 and welcome to the Versus Arthritis forum. 

I see that you’ve been recently diagnosed with OA and have been exploring the options available in mitigating its impact such as exercise and diet. You wish to avoid taking medication if possible. 

Crowd harvesting of data about medical conditions is something that I must admit I have very limited knowledge of but it may well be that other forum members have experience and can share their thoughts. 

Our website has a huge amount of information as regards OA including the various medications that are available and their potential side effects. You may well find some useful information here that helps address any questions or concerns: 

I hope that you receive some useful feedback. 

Best Wishes

ChrisB (Moderator)

Need more help - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Karin262
    Karin262 Member Posts: 3
    Options

Thank you ChrisB

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,742
    Options

The “stuff that works” posts for various medical conditions keep appearing on my social media. I had assumed it was a click bait site, so never investigated further, so it’s interesting to hear a different perspective.