Just Diagnosed

Penks
Penks Member Posts: 3
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:06 in Living with arthritis

Hi ya and thank you for accepting me.

I was diagnosed last week with level 2 arthritis in both hips. Until a month ago I’d had no symptoms at all. The pain came on almost overnight.

My GP has been very supportive but I would like some moral support coming to terms with this. I’m relatively fit and would usually walk 3-5 miles, 5 days a week. I don’t drive.

The future feels daunting.

Thank you.

Comments

• Brynmor
    Brynmor Member Posts: 1,755

Hi @Penks and welcome to the Online Community, great to have you here.

It can be a real shock when you get a diagnosis of arthritis, especially as the pain appears to happen overnight or in a very short period. Osteoarthritis is the most common form of arthritis, and the hip is the second most commonly affected joint.

Our website has some great information on the subject and you should find it really helpful:

Do join in across the Community, ask questions and let us know how you are getting on. You will be most welcome.

All best wishes

Brynmor

• Penks
    Penks Member Posts: 3

Thank you.

• Jona
    Jona Member Posts: 406

Hi Penks,

It took me a long time to come to terms with my diagnosis and still not come to terms with my limitations but I’m getting there I think 🤔 it’s funny I was looking so forward to doing so much and at times felt like a wuss or hypochondriac but I know I’m none of those things but just wanted to let you know your not alone with this the lovely people here will give you a better insight

take care

Jona 😊😊😊

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,740

Hi @Penks , I’m sorry to hear about your diagnosis. The same happened to me, generally fit, regular fell walker, not much in the way of symptoms till all hell broke loose after a minor tumble and suddenly I needed new hip. Several ortho surgeons said this can happen, and when I had surgery back in April the patient in the next room said the same happened to her. It does come as an awful shock though.

Your fitness will stand you in good stead, as the muscles will support your eroded hips. I suspect for both of us this masked the underlying damage for a long time. Keep it up as best you can, but overdoing it may mean you need to rest to let any inflammation go down. Certainly avoid high impact exercise such as running, but perhaps try more swimming and cycling, which are easier on the joints. I found yoga and Pilates helpful too until the pain got too bad.

Have you seen an ortho surgeon yet to discuss your treatment options? They mainly try to manage it with pain relief drugs and exercise/physio to keep those muscles in good shape, but may then move onto steroid injections in your hips (with varying and unpredictable levels of success) then replacement surgery. I’m afraid you’ll find that all the drugs do is take the edge off the pain, but make sure you keep reviewing these as your condition progresses to find drugs that work for you. (it may depend on what other medications you’re on). But there are a few other tricks you’ll need up your sleeve, some of which are in this link

sadly as it progresses you will find you need to change your horizons a bit, but for everything you have to give up, find something new you enjoy to replace it with. Distraction is also useful, ie taking your focus away from the pain. Gardening was my way - perversely it hurt like mad, but I didn’t notice, and it did my mental health no end of good as well as giving me a bit of a work out. On bad days a really engrossing movie etc worked as well. Whatever floats your boat.

If you find the pain keeps you awake, take a painkiller before you go to bed, and experiment with cushions to prop your body in a position that comfortable for you. Fatigue is an awful part of arthritis, both the condition itself, lack of sleep and the debilitating effect of pain, so make sure you pace yourself and schedule in time for quality rest and recuperation.

Explain to friends and family what you’re going through, it makes such a difference if you have their support and understanding, as it’s hard for people who are not in pain to understand how it can affect you.

it’s ok to not feel ok about this. Keep posting on here, this forum kept me afloat through some awful times, and they’re full of great advice. We all know how rubbish this can get.

• Jona
    Jona Member Posts: 406

I’ve started keeping a diary now too put things in it like how bad the pain was, what drugs I took things I did to try alleviate it and because some days you can look back at what worked and what didn’t

• Tammie24
    Tammie24 Member Posts: 2

Hi I have just been told I have osteoarthritis in my shoulders neck and spine it's very painful to sleep at night time and get comfortable the pain is really bad some nights I can't even get to sleep I am on morphine cose of the pain though the night

• Brynmor
    Brynmor Member Posts: 1,755

Hi @Tammie24 welcome to the Online Community, good to see you here.

I understand that you have painful osteoarthritis in both your shoulders, neck and spine that is not helping you get to sleep. You are taking a course of morphine to help manage the pain.

As well as the link above to managing your pain, you may find some of the following helpful:

and

Do join in with the Online Community to give advice and support, ask questions and to say how you are getting on. You will be most welcome.

Best wishes

Brynmor