Coming up short post hip replacement

ET63
ET63 Member Posts: 10
edited 10. Aug 2021, 08:53 in Living with arthritis

Morning lovely people.

I am now 3.5 weeks post op and I have been blessed with a fast recovery. I am walking without any aids and have been pain free for half of that time.

I am very grateful for this but……. there is always a but! I have gained 4cms/1.5” in height and I am looking for advice on what to do for the best for my shorter leg. The physio gave me 2 lots of wedges which I have put in my trainers. And I am waiting to speak to the GP so I can be referred to Orthotics. I am fine indoors but need the extra support when out and about and trying to get some exercise. My right heel is not very secure in my trainers. I have seen lots of wedges that are 1cm .

Any advice gratefully received.

Tagged:

Comments

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,740

Hi @ET63 , it’s good to hear your recovery is going so well, but the leg length issue must be frustrating. I’ve been wearing orthotics for years just to improve posture, but there are some brands of shoes accommodate these better than others, usually those where you can remove the manufacturers insoles. Hotter shoes, or Joseph Seibel and Gabor (if you have more expensive tastes) are good. I think Hush Puppies were too but we can’t get them round here. There’s also quite a big selection of fashion-style walking shoes that can take orthotics, and probably some trainers. Making up 1.5” may be a tougher challenge, but hopefully your next consultant will be able to advise. But thank heaven the days of obligatory high heels is behind us. (A lot of that has to do with more women entering the shoe design business - in the high-heel days of the 1970s and 1980s 90% of shoe designers were men. I always said they should have been made to wear them...!)

• ET63

So true about male shoe designers!

I never wore high heels, I could fall over a matchstick in flats so tended to steer clear!

I will keep in mind the brands of shoes you mentioned, it’s good to have some clue of best brands. Hopefully I will have a clearer idea of what is needed after my post op visit with the consultant.

Thank you for your response.

Best foot forward 😉, as they say! 😂😂

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336
    edited 10. Aug 2021, 08:50

Morning ET63

My Mum had a significant height difference in her legs due to a severe compound fracture when she was young. She had a cobbler build up the heel on one pair of shoes and it looked fine.

The other pair she wore regularly had an insole in it.

I hope you get sorted soon.

Take care

Toni xx

• ET63

That’s what I need, a cobbler!

Thanks for that!

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,740

@frogmorton , great idea!