Osteoarthritis in knee

I have been in an acute flare up for 10 days & am in severe pain. Has anyone else experienced referred pain to lower leg, ankle, thigh, hip and lower back with knee arthritis? Its so widespread. I was referred to knee surgeon back in 2019, & finally got hold of a GP to get them to refer me again this week. Not getting any sleep and feeling very low 😔

Comments

• Anne16
    Anne16 Member Posts: 14

Hi Osteonorm, so sorry you are having such a painful time.

A couple of years ago, I had similar pain from my toes right up into the small of my back and it was diagnosed as acute Sciatica. Just thought I would share this in case if might be the same with yourself. Hope it improves soon and good wishes.

• helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,464
    edited 13. Sep 2021, 09:55

Hi @osteonorm

Sorry to hear you are experiencing referred pain in your lower leg.

If you'd like to hear more experiences from other people with arthritis, then posting on the living with arthritis forum may well be helpful.

If a knee is affecting the way you walk, then that can end up leading to pain elsewhere in your body. So it can be that the hip and back etc may begin to be sore because of the 'gait' (the way that you may be walking).

A really helpful option when things are getting painful is to see a physiotherapist and get medical advice on exercises, managing pain and day to day tips. If you would like a chat about things, you might ring your doctor, or you'd be most welcome to ring us at the Helpline on 0800 5200 520. We are not medically trained, but have lots of useful information and can listen.

Exercising with arthritis | Top tips, specific exercises (versusarthritis.org)

Managing your pain | Treatments and self-help (versusarthritis.org)

Best wishes

Guy - Helpline Team