Stretching videos to help people with arthritis to keep mobile

[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
edited 21. Dec 2021, 10:45 in Let's Move

We're back with a new Let's Move at Home video series, and this one is all about stretching.

Physiotherapist Jay Milomo will guide you through commonly recommended stretching exercises for different parts of the body for those living with arthritis and other musculoskeletal conditions.

You can sign up for early access to the exercise series by joining Let's Move here:

You can find out lots more about the Let's Move programme on our website.

Comments

• Ellen
    Ellen Moderator Posts: 1,591

Great thank you I for one will be signing up as the winter looms I might have to do less walking!

• LizB12
    LizB12 Member Posts: 38

I am looking forward to this 😀

• Grace111
    Grace111 Member Posts: 30

Oh going to be trying this ☺️

Grace

• YvonneH
    YvonneH Member Posts: 1,076
    edited 19. Nov 2021, 10:30

Hi,

The first video is out now, the comments look good, I'm going to give it a go - see what you think.

Tailored stretching: Shoulder exercises

In this gentle fifteen-minute follow-along stretching video, physiotherapist Jay Milomo is joined by Sylvia who lives with arthritis. Together they demonstrate commonly recommended shoulder exercises for people living with arthritis and other musculoskeletal conditions including arm stretch, shoulder circles, door press and table slide.

Designed to be incorporated into your daily routine, these exercises can be done anywhere and make use of everyday items.

Time: 15 mins

Items to bring along: Tea towel, resistance band (optional). It will also be helpful if you have a chair and table nearby.

Yvonne x

• Nancy321
    Nancy321 Member Posts: 2

Love all theses exercise videos it’s like having a personal trainer at home. Carry on the good work.

• Brynmor
    Brynmor Member Posts: 1,755

Hi @Nancy321 welcome to the Online Community, great to have you here.

The stretching exercise programme is new and we are glad that you are enjoying them. You may also be interested in Let’s Move with Leon - a 12 week programme of 30-minute movement sessions, presented by fitness expert Leon Wormley.

Do join in across the Community, ask questions, give advice and chat to say how you are getting on: you will be most welcome.

All best wishes

Brynmor

• Moira
    Moira Member Posts: 88

This video is absolutely brilliant. It uses a lot of the exercises that my physio (many years ago) taught me to do, and that I do most days. Aim is every day.

Versus Arthritis videos are brilliant so do use them to keep yourself mobile. I find that if I don't do even small exercises each day, I soon seize up like a rusty hinge.

• Sharon_K
    Sharon_K Member Posts: 460
    edited 19. Nov 2021, 10:28

Tailored stretching: Knee exercises

In this gentle fifteen-minute follow-along stretching video, physiotherapist Jay Milomo is joined by James who lives with rheumatoid arthritis and ankylosing spondylitis. Together they demonstrate commonly recommended movements for knee pain or stiffness. Keep knees supple by doing exercises including quadriceps strengthening, straight leg raise and sit to stand.

Designed to be incorporated into your daily routine, these exercises can be done anywhere and make use of everyday items.

Items to bring along: Towel, it will also be helpful if you have a chair and a sturdy step (or stair) nearby.

• Sharon_K
    Sharon_K Member Posts: 460
    edited 19. Nov 2021, 10:27

Tailored stretching: Finger, hand and wrist exercises

In this gentle ten-minute follow-along stretching video, physiotherapist Jay Milomo is joined by Sylvia who lives with arthritis. Together they demonstrate commonly recommended finger, hand and wrist exercises for people living with arthritis and other musculoskeletal conditions including finger strengthening, finger tendon glide, hand lift and wrist turn. We use our fingers, hands and wrists for so many everyday tasks, it’s important to keep them mobile and strengthened.

Time: 10 mins

Items to bring along: A piece of kitchen paper or small towel

• Brynmor
    edited 19. Nov 2021, 10:26

Tailored stretching: Neck and back exercises

In this gentle fifteen-minute follow-along stretching video, physiotherapist Jay Milomo is joined by James who lives with arthritis. Together they demonstrate commonly recommended neck and back exercises for people living with arthritis and other musculoskeletal conditions including head turn, chin to chest, leg raise and back stabiliser.

Improve your mobility and strengthen your neck and back muscles by adding this 15 minute video to your daily routine. These exercises can be done anywhere and make use of everyday items.

A couple of exercises involve lying down - Jay and James show you safe ways to get down on to a yoga mat or the bed or sofa.

• Brynmor

Tailored stretching: Elbow exercises

In this gentle eleven-minute follow-along stretching video, physiotherapist Jay Milomo is joined by Sylvia who lives with arthritis. Together they demonstrate commonly recommended elbow exercises for people living with arthritis and other musculoskeletal conditions, including elbow bend, wrist flex, wrist extension, wrist turn and wrist lift with weight.

This session will be beneficial for stretching the muscles around the elbow joint and improving the joint range of movement. Designed to be incorporated into your daily routine, these exercises can be done anywhere and make use of everyday items.

Time: 11 mins

Items to bring along: Tin can or light weight (optional).

• Brynmor

Tailored stretching: Hip exercises

In this gentle fifteen-minute follow-along stretching video, physiotherapist Jay Milomo is joined by James who lives with arthritis. Together they demonstrate commonly recommended hip exercises for people living with arthritis and other musculoskeletal conditions, including hip extension, heel to buttock, squats, knee hugs, heel slide and external hip rotation.

This session will be beneficial in building strength and improving mobility in the hip joints. Designed to be incorporated into your daily routine, these exercises can be done anywhere and at any time of the day that suits you. A couple of exercises involve lying down and they can be done on a yoga mat, on the bed or on the sofa.

Time: 15 min

Items to bring along: it would be helpful to have a chair nearby to hold unto.

• Brynmor
    edited 29. Nov 2021, 10:50

Tailored stretching: Ankle, foot and toe exercises

In this gentle twenty-minute follow-along stretching video, physiotherapist Jay Milomo is joined by James who lives with arthritis. Together they demonstrate commonly recommended ankle, foot and toe exercises for people living with arthritis and other musculoskeletal conditions, including seated calf stretch, ankle rotation, alphabet writing, toe spread, basic balance and standing heel raise. This session will be beneficial in improving strength and mobility in your ankles, feet and toes. Designed to be incorporated into your daily routine, these exercises can be done anywhere and at any time of the day that suits you. Most of the exercises will be sat down and some will be done standing up so make sure you have plenty of space around you as well as something to lean against such as a bed, a wall or a sofa.

Time: 20 min

Items to bring along: a chair for the seated exercises, a towel and a resistance band (optional).