certolizumab pegol

Hello, I’m due to start certolizumab pegol injections next week and I’m feeling very worried about it. I was wondering if you might have any tips on keeping calm while injecting or if there is any sort of technic I can use to reduce any pain it may cause… not sure if this is possible. I’ve just got a needle fear that’s all so any sort of advice would be very much appreciated. Many thanks.

Comments

• Chris_R
    Chris_R Moderator Posts: 791
    edited 8. Oct 2021, 19:03

Hi @Chelsea_95

Welcome to the online community glad you have posted and are asking for help as you say you are due to start certolizumab pegol injections but want to know how to keep calm as you have a needle phobia and would like advice

everyone is friendlyHope these links help you,please keep in touch and tell us how you get on and also chat on our forums everyone is friendly and helpful and know what you are going through.

All the best Christine

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332

Oh @Chelsea_95

Bless you I don't like blood tests either, but am ok with injections. Now my daughter Lucy, (97 not 95) had a needle phobia until just after her 16th birthday she was diagnosed with leukaemia and obviously needed needle after needle after needle😕

To this day they reckon she was the worst they ever had on the young person's unit! Not helped by an impatient ward matron to be fair.

Eventually she went for hypnotherapy, they didn't put her under it was more 'relaxation' techniques? and honestly it was like a miracle it actually worked!!! Now she just gets on with it. As long as no-one says 'sharp scratch'.

I hope your injections may be the pen type? If so it's quick and easy and honestly they will teach you you won't be left to struggle on alone ((()))

Let us know how it goes!

• Hi @Chelsea_95

Sorry for the delay in responding (and big thank you to @frogmorton ).

I'm so relieved to see that you've had such a supportive post from Toni.

We don't have information that we've produced, but the NHS has. I'm attaching a link to this information from Southampton, (and there's more if you search NHS needle phobia).

If this information does not quite 'do it' or you'd like a proper chat and to be heard, do please ring us on our freephone 0800 5200 520.

Blood, injury and needle phobias and procedural anxiety - patient information (uhs.nhs.uk)

Kind regards

Guy - Helpline Team