Pain

Snowbunny
Snowbunny Member Posts: 11
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:07 in Living with arthritis

Hello I’ve just be diagnosed with mild osteoarthritis of both hips but mainly right one and it looks like I am having a flare up and I’m finding it difficult to cope with the pain☹️ I don’t know quite what to do with myself it’s so painful and I suffer with anxiety which makes it worse

Tagged:

Comments

• Anna
    Anna Moderator Posts: 947

Hello @Snowbunny and welcome to the online community,

I see that you have osteoarthritis in your hips, you’re in the middle of a flare up, and the pain is making your anxiety worse. Pain is certainly one of the biggest challenges of living with arthritis and one that many of our members can empathise with. I’m sure that you’ll receive some helpful and supportive suggestions from within the community about ways to help.

The Versus Arthritis website also has a good page on managing your pain. I’ve linked to it below and you might like to take a look:

Arthritis can have a big impact on our emotional well-being. You might like to have a look at the web page below as well - it talks about how you can find support and ways you can look after yourself:

Sometimes it’s helpful to chat to someone about how you’re feeling. The Versus Arthritis helpline is available from 9am - 6pm weekdays and they are there if you need some friendly support. Their number is : 0800 5200 520.

Please do let us know how you’re getting on,

Anna ( Mod)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,740

HI @Snowbunny , I'm sorry you're having a rotten time right now. Have you reviewed your pain meds with your GP lately? If your condition is deteriorating, it might be worth a chat with them.

I found my hip got really bad if I'd been more active than usual the previous day, and tried to take it easy for a few days after to let it settle. It's a bit pants when we have to stop doing the things we enjoy because our body is having a paddy, but sometimes it's the only way. (Apologies for all the vernacular, but I gave up being polite over my body a long time ago).

And yes, it can get you down. On bad days, I would treat myself as I would treat a loved one who was going through similar - be kind to yourself, find small pleasures (a bar of chocolate, your fav tv programme, ring a friend, whatever works for you), wrap yourself up in cosiness and let your body calm down. Now that spring is round the corner, sit out in the garden (if you have one) wrapped up warm and watch the birds, feel the sun on your face, hug the cat, pat the dog, anything that takes your focus away from how rubbish you feel.

Sending a hug. You're not alone.

• Snowbunny

Hi @Lilymary

Thankyou so much for those kind words and suggestions. Just experimenting with meds at the moment to see if and what helps and been referred to physio. It’s taking some time for me to get my head around it all. Big hug to you to, it’s so good to know there is a place where I can reach out and know I’m not alone.

• Leanne455
    Leanne455 Member Posts: 7

Hi @Snowbunny@Snowbunny I too have just been diagnosed with early onset osteoarthritis in both hips and I have never felt pain like it. My doctor gave me the diagnosis over the phone on Friday but I have been suffering for 10 months. I was prescribed Narproxen in the beginning. It helped a little but not enough. It also gave me a bad stomach so I had to stop taking it. The doctor then gave me codeine and amertriptaline. It never took all the pain away but It helped me get a better sleep and helped me to walk a bit further / do more than I could previously. I started swimming 4 months ago, every other day. It really hurts to do it but I am much stronger. I have been doing my physio exercises which is really hard outside the water. The pain is excruciating. I was not expecting this diagnosis and decided to wean myself off codeine at Christmas time, thinking it wasn't working enough to warrant it. It's been 6 weeks of hell if I'm honest. I rang my GP on Friday about pain management, he told me he had my MRI results and gave me the diagnosis. I am devastated. He's put me straight back on codeine and told me to stagger the paracetamol so I am taking pain relief every 2 hours, making sure I take codeine before I go to bed so I don't keep waking up in pain everytime I turn over. I didn't want to do this but I have no choice. Since restarting the medication, I feel loads better. The swimming has helped alot. Losing weight is helping. I Brought a heated lumbar support cushion for my car which is amazing. The heat application seems to be amazing pain relief. I don't think there is anything that is going to give us 100% pain relief but you do not have to suffer. The pain made my anxiety and my blood pressure go mad. I wouldn't wish this pain on my worst enemy. I hope you get it under control.

• PeterJ
    PeterJ Administrator Posts: 877

Hello @Leanne455 and welcome to the community. We are a friendly and supportive group and I hope that you will find that as well.

I understand that you have osteoarthritis in your hips. Good to hear that your medications seem to be helping you, and well done on the losing weight and swimming - it all helps to keep the pain from getting worse. Our website contains a lot of useful information and I would suggest having a look around it to see if there is anything that might help. I've put a couple of links below as a starter.

and there is also a site called Escape Pain which has some good advice

Please do keep posting and let us know how you are getting on, and I am sure that others will connect with you to share their experiences as well

With very best wishes

Peter (moderator)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Snowbunny

Hi Leane455

thankyou so much for telling me your experience I don’t feel so alone now I’ve found this site. It’s only been a few weeks for me and I can’t get my head around it all and feel like my life won’t get any better. The pain freaks me out so I tend to hide away I’m scared To try and carry on as normal. My mum has had RA for years and now has finally decided to have both knees replaced at the age of 82. I’m 55. I’ve witnessed her pain and have no idea how she’s coped. I keep feeling I’m not strong enough. Will this get worse? I’m just in free fall panic! I’ve no idea when I will get physio appointment. Do I start exercises while I’m waiting? I’m on codeine and paracetomal and have naproxen. Nothing really seems to help much apart from my wheaty bag . My husband even bought me a tens machine which made me chuckle, reminded me of being in labour with my first daughter. Then I got depressed thinking how old i was feeling ha ha. I think I’m just so focussed on the pain I am probably making it worse ☹️