I have quite bad arthritis in my hip. I had a steroid injection which worked well. A few months later i went back and they said they wanted to refer me to the orthopedic hospital. They did not want to give me the steroid injection as im taking a low dose of steroids for a immune disease how ever the Dr there said it was ok and i was given the injection. I asked if they were going to refer me. They then said no telling me the hospital dont see people who are having this treatment.I find this really odd. Could you tell me if this is right please?


  • chrisb
    chrisb Moderator Posts: 663

    Hi @Newyear  

    Welcome to the versus arthritis forum. 

    I see you have arthritis in you hip, you’ve had a successful steroid injection and but there seems to be some confusion as to whether you should be referred to the hospital. You’d like to receive feedback from forum members as to if it’s correct that ongoing treatments should be with your GP only. 

    I hope that you receive some useful input from members who have found themselves in a similar position. 

    I note that you have posted in the Helpline section so they may well be able to provide you with further information.

    In the interim, you may find these links of some interest:


    This is a link to a recent discussion around steroid injections which it may be worth joining in on :

    I hope that you find joining the forum of beneit. I suggest you join as many discussions as you feel appropriate in order to maximise the amount of feedback you receive. 

    Best Wishes

    ChrisB (Moderator)

    Need more help - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

  • Hi Newyear,

    Thank you for posting on the Helpline forum. I am sorry to hear you have osteoarthritis (OA) in your hip but glad that steroid injections have given you some relief from the pain. Chrisb has given a helpful response to your post and useful links. It is understandable that you would like some clarification about hospital referral.

    Osteoarthritis (OA) can be managed by your GP. When X-rays show that this has progressed, referral to an orthopaedic specialist is usually considered, especially if you are in a lot of pain and your mobility is affected.

    It sounds as if it may help to talk things through further with your GP who can review your pain relief medication and refer you to an orthopaedic specialist when the time is right. Referral to a physiotherapist may be worth considering for an assessment and advice about exercises. In some areas the referral is to the musculoskeletal service (MSK). The right kind of exercise, a little and often, a healthy balanced diet and maintaining a healthy weight can all make a difference to how you feel.

    If at any point you would like to talk things through informally and in confidence about your arthritis, you are welcome to call our Free Helpline on 0800 520 0520 weekdays 9am – 6pm.

    I hope you find the information given below of some help. 

    Best wishes,

    Fiona, Helpline Advisor