Flare of RA - feeling isolated

Options
marley13
marley13 Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:07 in Living with arthritis

I have been diagnosed with Rheumatoid arthritis now for I think 5 years. At the moment I’m in a flare up and have just got over(ish) covid.

I sometimes feel quite isolated as no one really understands so was looking to talk to like minded people

Thanks

Natalie

Comments

• ToneBlues
    ToneBlues Member Posts: 94
    edited 9. Mar 2022, 12:51
    Options

Hi @marley13

Welcome to our online forum and thank you for asking for our support.

You tell us that you have been diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis (RA) for about five years, and are flaring at the moment having just just got over a bout of covid. You often feel quite isolated because people don't really understand what it is like to have RA.

You will find a great many people here who have similar experiences and feelings to the ones you express. I have had RA for 16 years and even my closest friends at times misunderstand what I'm dealing with - particularly the experience of flares and of fatigue.

Here is our main web page about RA -

I suspect much of that page may be familiar, but there may be things that are new to you - perhaps including the section on Managing a flare (about halfway down the page)

And here are some more tried and test tips for dealing with a flare -

Many of us with arthritis struggle with staying positive and motivated - these are some ideas about looking after your emotional wellbeing - https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/managing-symptoms/emotional-wellbeing/

I hope that these ideas help and that you are able to find continuing support by visiting our online community.

Very best wishes

@ToneBlues - moderator

• kerryj
    kerryj Member Posts: 6
    Options

Hi Natalie,

I too am currently going through a flare up and this has been ongoing since November.

I was diagnosed about seven years ago and up until Covid was seeing my consultant quite regularly but have not seen them for two years so I can understand your feeling of isolation as it does feel like we have been left to cope on our own.

It is difficult when people don't understand but do try and take care of yourself and don't worry about what others think. I dropped a bottle of milk in the supermarket today because I lifted it and my wrist wasn't strong enough to hold it. Everyone looked at me and I was really embarrassed but these things are just part of our real life.

Take care

Kerry