Osteoarthritis spreading

Options

Just got my first physio appointment next month after finding out that my arthritis is now in my lower back and both hips ..the pain is really starting to get me down

Comments

• YvonneH
    YvonneH Member Posts: 1,076
    Options

Hi @Wullie75

It's great to meet you, you are certainly in the right place! You have arthritis which seems to have spread to your lower back and hips and is causing you pain. Hopefully your physio will be able to help with that.

I'm thinking you have osteoarthritis from the joints that are affected. If I have this wrong do tell me and I will see if there are any better ways to help you.

I have OA and have it many joints, so I can empathise with your pain issues. I am lucky to work from home so I can take care of myself while I'm working which is great. One of my first posts of call is heat. I have a wheat bag that goes in the microwave which I can wrap around a painful joint and I find immediate benefit from that. I also take regular meds to keep on top of the pain and know what to do for any stronger pain. The pain doesn't vanish but I can distract myself or do some exercise after taking the extra dose. Exercise is key - any joint in pain move gently but don't push on when you feel the pain starting to increase, in time it will lessen and you can do more movement then.

Here is what the Versus Arthritis website has on exercise

We have a discussion here on the community called Let's Move - check out this discussion

and Nora's story

Looking forward to seeing you next post

Yvonne x

• Wullie75
    Wullie75 Member Posts: 13
    Options

Yep got heat packs . Heated big slipper for my feet..electric blanket and a tense machine I have been taking tramadol and naproxen for the pain but as you say it just takes the edge of it a wee bit .. I got carbon fibre insoles from my podiatrist which helps keep my toes from moving...I started physio 2 weeks ago which didn't go to well...especially when I told about the pain and my joints ...then she tells me to bend down and touch my toes😤..then twist you're arms around to side and back again.. the she said I should do more exercise walk my dog more ...then🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬. I was mostly polite don't think she understood just how much pain you get from the simplest of things..like getting in and out of the car...takes me 6 strides to straighten upright.. bur apart from that am gd just got to deal with it