Hello, I’m a new member!

Options
EmLou
EmLou Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:07 in Living with arthritis

Just thought I’d introduce myself. Just turned 50 & feeling crap about life! I was diagnosed with Osteoarthritis about 20 years ago, I have it in both knees, both hips, neck, one shoulder plus a couple toes & fingers. On top of that I also have Fibromyalgia. I’ve had surgery a few times to remove bone spurs etc to try to relieve the pain but nothing has worked. My surgeon said I need knee replacements but I’m too young apparently! So I’ve basically been left to it. Can only take Co-codamol as everything else makes me sick. I’m lucky if I get 4 hours sleep each night & even then I wake up a few times. I had to give up work at the age of 35 so I spend all my time at home. I have a lovely caring husband and son and they try their best to help me but I feel like I am being left behind, I feel invisible sometimes. They are getting on with their lives but without me most of the time. All my ‘former friends’ have cut me off.

sorry for the rant but I really have nobody to talk to. Hoping I may find some answers or suggestions here.

Comments

• Brynmor
    Brynmor Member Posts: 1,755
    Options

Hi @EmLou and welcome to the Online Community.

I see you have had osteoarthritis for the last 20 years in a number of joints along with fibromyalgia. You have also been told you are too young for knee replacement surgery, struggle to sleep and and have had to give up work.

Your medication is limited to co-codamol as other prescriptions make you unwell and this has all naturally isolated you and is emotionally difficult to manage.

Our web site has some great tips on helping you improve your sleeping, including tips on tackling the problem and ideas to improve the issue:

Do join in across the Community: comment, ask questions and call in to say how you are getting on.

All best wishes

Brynmor

Edit

Please do read this post from another new member. It may be worth linking up to help each other!