Fibromyalgia

Options
Moo123
Moo123 Member Posts: 2
edited 19. Jul 2022, 13:06 in Living with arthritis

I have just been diagnosed with fibromyalgia, however, the rheumatologist wasnt happy as he said my gp should be sorting it out.

My markers in my blood are elevated, he said it wasnt due to fibromyalgia. I have got bony lumps on my little fingers plus my thumb is so painful, the pain wakes me up most nights. Any help greatly appreciated. Many thanks michelle xx

Tagged:

Comments

• PeterJ
    PeterJ Administrator Posts: 883
    Options

Hello @Moo123 and welcome to the community. We are a friendly and supportive group and I hope that that will be your experience as well.

I understand that you have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia but that your rheumatologist and GP cannot agree and that you have bony lump son your little fingers and your thumb is painful. Our website contains a lot of useful information, some of which might be of help, and I would recommend having a look around it. To help I've put a couple of links in below which may be of interest.

Please do keep posting and let us know how you are getting on and I am sure that others will connect with you to share their support and experience as well.

With very best wishes

Peter

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Jennet
    Jennet Member Posts: 13
    Options

Hi Moo123,

I've just been diagnosed and like you I've got nothing from my gp. It is for the gp to sort out as they get a letter/email from the consultant. I don't have the markers in my blood as far as I know because I had a telephone consultation. The consultant said it was blatantly obvious years ago that I had Fibromyalgia by ny symptoms.

The markers which are elevated in your blood may be due to markers for inflammation only on all or any particular joint/s.

You mention issues with your hands. Those bony lumps you have, is it the actual bone or some type of swelling of the skin?

You're thumb pain sounds like what I've had too many times. Trigger thumb..and you need to see your gp ASAP about it.

Either way, your hand issues could be arthritic but needs attention ASAP. Please let me know how you get on. Take care 😍

Jennet

• Chocoholic71
    Options

Hi moo123,I also have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia in January some days I'm good and other days I'm not great,at the start my gp wasn't great but I've been talking to a new gp and she was great,I also have lumps on my fingers which I think is the start of arthritis.keep at your gp for more help as fibromyalgia is hard to treat.hope you get sorted soon .keep in touch and let me know how you get on.take care Elaine. X

• johannas
    johannas Member Posts: 3
    Options

Hi Michelle,

I've recently been diagnosed too after 15 months of tests and different treatments.

I have the same thing you have on your fingers. I call them nodules and they are so painful it's insane. I had ultrasound scans as part of my tests and the doctor found that is its a sort of build up of fibrous fascia scar tissue. It's below the skin, but above the joint so although it feels like it, it isn't actually causing lasting damage. I was told that my hands 'need a holiday'- which is all well and good if you but you use your hands for EVERYTHING.

Compression gloves help, as does cryotherapy but that's expensive!

I hope you find some relief.

Jo

• JacquiK
    JacquiK Member Posts: 4
    Options

Hi there. I was told that the bony bits on the joints nearest my nails were Herberdens Nodes, which are a symptom of osteoarthritis of the hand. I’ve had them a while now and they aren’t painful, but my fingers are stiff. A physiotherapist suggested I use Therapy Putty (bought online) and exercise with this. Apparently, if the middle joints are bony, these are called Bouchard’s Nodes.

Regarding your fibromyalgia. It is difficult to diagnose and I was told you can’t diagnose it with a blood test. Years ago, a rheumatologist diagnosed mine by pressing on certain points on my body and, if I reacted with pain on a certain number of the points, then she confirmed the diagnosis. The only treatment I have received is a small dose (10mg) of Amitriptyline, an anti-depression tablet I take at night to help with sleeping. This is given for pain in smaller doses. Generally, I have coped with fibromyalgia by staying active and positive although you have to be careful not to overdo things.

it is difficult if you have arthritis and fibromyalgia together as you may not be able to identify what is causing your pain. For years, I blamed the fibromyalgia for everything but I now realise my arthritis causes problems too. I have recently had a knee replacement and the Consultant said it definitely wasn’t fibromyalgia! So, I generally say if it’s muscular, it’s fibromyalgia and, if it’s my joints, it’s arthritis but it’s sometimes difficult to distinguish between the two.