Hip replacement

Options
Totty
Totty Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:08 in Living with arthritis

Hi all,

I have moderate to severe arthritis in my hip. I have recently been reviewed by a physiotherapist who has referred me to a consultant for assessment for hip replacement. The appointment is next week. I was shocked by this I have seen a physio 3 years ago and had a course of physio which did improve things and I thought this would happen again. My mobility is poor and I can only manage short distances. My leg just seems to stiffen up and I have to stop. I am at present I am on an emotional roller coaster. I can see the positive s of surgery . I am going to be a first time grandma in 4 weeks and my physical health will improve as I can exercise more but my anxiety about surgery is high. Has anyone been through this process and am I over thinking everything x

Comments

• Ellen
    Ellen Moderator Posts: 1,628
    Options

Hi @Totty

I see from your post that you have quite severe Osteoarthritis of your hip and that you have been referred to a consultant for a possible Hip replacement. I can quite understand your anxiety about surgery, but do not fear many here have gone ahead of you and have so much experience to share.

I am going to start by adding this link to a huge thread from last year:

Lots of people joined in and many are still posting so do ask away they will help if they can.

Finally I am adding Versus Arthritis' information about Hip surgery:

We are all here for you Totty.

Best wishes

Ellen.

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,425
    Options

Hey @Totty

Love the name!

I am terrified if surgery too in fact i have escaped from hospital 3 times in total😳But it will be so so worth it you have a grandbaby on the way! What better incentive😊

Now you can tell them how scared you are and they will help they did me for my back operation gave me a lovely something to relax me before the operation.

Loads of folks on here have had their hips done (not me though) and will support you through the process I know they will just find one of the hip threads and join in.

Take care

Toni xx

• Totty
    Totty Member Posts: 2
    Options

Thankyou so much for your kind of comments. I am hope you remain well

• Peppercorn
    Peppercorn Member Posts: 19
    Options

Hi Totty, I recently had a hip replacement at 38 due to a genetic issue.

I was TERRIFIED of surgery, I even talked myself out of it the first time and I just got worse and worse. But in all honesty - and even though I had a few complications - I’d do it again for sure. I feel so much better now.

They knew I was nervous and they were amazing - I remember having a conversation with the anaesthesiologist as I went under about what wine I’d want to drink in a restaurant when I was recovered!

They will take great care of you, just let them know how anxious you are. I could only walk about 500 yards with crutches pre op, and I walked 5 miles no crutches yesterday (seven months post op). Just picture how life will be. You will do amazingly well.

• Chunkygardener
    Options

Hi, I am in the process of recovering from hip replacement, had a new hip 5 days ago.

I was scared of surgery, tried to talk myself out of it especially in the few days before. But the quality of my life had really deteriorated. I couldn't be the person I wanted to be. Pain all the time, severe restrictions of movement. Getting steadily more down about it.

Just wanted to say that the actual operation was fine. I had a spinal with sedation and it was really easy, I've had MUCH worse experiences at the dentists.

Home after 2 days, feel sore and tired. But I have hope that things will improve, which they were not doing before.

The actual surgery is no problem, living with pain and deterioration beforehand is really hard.

Good luck and congratulations on your soon to be granny status. Its lovely!