Shoes

Options
Kempowski58
Kempowski58 Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:08 in Living with arthritis

Hello all,

I have been diagnosed with arthritis in the left hip. I feel better walking in my flat on soft rugs and wondered if there are recommended shoes/trainers which may help me when out walking in a similar vein to absorb the energy when I put the foot down.

I have been advised to buy ‘thick soles’ but would appreciate advice if one type of footwear is better than another.

Thanks in advance and let’s all keep going!

Roy Parker

Comments

• Anna
    Anna Moderator Posts: 978
    Options

Hello @Kempowski58 and welcome to the online community,

You've been diagnosed with arthritis in your left hip and you are wondering if there is any recommended footwear that can help absorb the energy when you walk.

The Versus Arthritis website has a page that you might find useful - it discusses how to look after your feet and what sort of footwear to buy:

Here's a thread from members who recommend the type of footwear that works for them:

Do have a browse round the forum - it's a great place to meet people who also live with arthritis, and you'll find everyone friendly and supportive. Feel free to join in wherever you feel comfortable.

Anna (Mod)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Loggiemod
    Loggiemod Member Posts: 220
    Options

I would go to a sports shop and try ones that look like a comfortable sole and would go for trainers. We are all different so what is good for me may not be for you, but try them. An even better way is if you find a pair that look promising order them online then spend a day or so wearing them in your flat to see if they feel good.

The only other tip I would give is that when you do find a pair you like, buy two pairs at least as when they wear out you might find they've been discontinued, but you will have a replacement pair ready.

Hope that helps