Hip pain at night

Options

I have osteo in both hips and can manage during day, but as soon as I settle down in bed pain kicks in, often keeps me awake most of night. Tried pillows between but difficult with both hips in trouble as which ever side I lay on it's so painful. Take paracetamol, cant take lots of other painkillers as am on blood thinners and betablockers. Have Meptid from out surgery clinical physician but doesnt help much, and am not keen ad it's an opiate. Has anyone any good tips, have tried tens machine which also did nothing.

Comments

• Tom
    Tom Member Posts: 522
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @cj1. I see that you have osteoarthritis in both hips, manageable during the day, but a real so-and-so at night. You are restricted on which painkillers you can take from caution and because of other medication.

You might find it possible to sleep on your back with a pillow placed under the knees. This has worked for a family member.

Here are some links to information from our website:

Let us know how you get on.

Tom, Moderator.

• Snoflake
    Snoflake Member Posts: 2
    Options

I have been in a similar situation with pain preventing sleep. I have RA and it affects me from my waist to my knees so sleeping was very disturbed. I relented and started pregablin and this has helped me. I am still working full time so need my sleep.

• Poppyjane
    Poppyjane Moderator Posts: 754
    Options

Welcome @Snoflake to the online community,

You have RA and you too find your sleep is disturbed. It is great that on your first post you are supporting another member. There has recently been a discussion among members about trying a split sleep pattern as well as other tips about sleep problems

I hope these links are helpful, do let us know how you get on if you give it a go. There are lots of discussions and activities on the community so do browse round and join in.

Take Care

Poppyjane

If it would be helpful to talk to someone ring the Helpline 0800 5200 520

Monday - Friday 9.00a.m. - 6.00p.m.

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,742
    Options

I found propping other bits of my body with cushions, knee pillows etc put my hips at an angle that didn’t irritate them. Everyone will be different in what works for them, but I sleep almost on my stomach, which meant my leg was fully extended and the hip joint straight, which really hurt. So I had a cushion under my left lower abdomen and another under my left ankle, which meant I could sleep with the hip slightly flexed, and that took the pressure off the most painful bit. Experiment and see what works for you. I also loaded up on painkillers before I went to bed, which helped. Even with all this the pain still woke me up at night, but it was a lot better than without.