Wrist fusion---I'm an athletic senior considering it
I'm new to the forum and looking to find feedback on full wrist fusion. At 68, I'm very physically active---water skiing, snow skiing, walking, biking, fishing, hunting. As to these various activities, I love water skiing the most, and do a lot of slalom course skiing---including an occasional tournament. Unfortunately, due to a ruptured ligament several years ago, my right wrist is close to needing a full fusion (bone-on-bone). To reduce the pain/provide stability, I currently take Aleve, have at least one steroid shot/yr, use braces, etc.). Surprising, water skiing doesn't bother me that much (probably because it causes separation between the Scaphoid and Radius). Hammering, raking, lifting a few pounds (with my right hand), riding a bike, and various twisting motions cause the most pain/discomfort.
Yes, I know that I'm 68, but I'm looking for feedback primarily from athletic people who have undergone a full wrist fusion. I certainly don't want to give up my hobbies if I can avoid it. My questions are as follows:
- Can I continue to water ski at a relatively competitive level? I believe that hand alignment during water skiing would mirror the relatively straight hand configuration after a wrist fusion (with side-to-side motion preserved). Thus, grip strength might be the biggest wild-card. I would guess that rock climbing, rowing, etc. might have a lot of hand alignment similarities.
- My grip strength has been progressively weakening. Will I get some (or much) of that grip strength back after recovering from a full wrist fusion?
- At what point did you decide that the losing the "pain" would be worth losing the "mobility" in the hand?
- If I get a full fusion, I'm going to work hard adapting to it (and it's limitations). What should I be aware of, say, 6+ months in that might make me wonder if I made the right decision?
Thanks so much for your feedback.
- All Categories
- 2.3K Welcome
- 17 How to use your online community
- 30 Help, Guidelines and Get in Touch
- 40.4K Our Community
- 674 Chat to our Helpline Team
- 8.7K Living with arthritis
- 2 Want to Get Involved?
- 53 Hints and Tips
- 221 Work and financial support
- 390 Young people's community
- 7 Parents of Children with Arthritis
- 40 My Triumphs
- 132 Let's Move
- 24 Sports and Hobbies
- 13 Food and Diet
- 256 Coronavirus (COVID-19)
- 16 Community Feedback and ideas
- 333 Chat and News
- 29 Val's Cafe
- 269 Chit chat
- 11 News
- 4 Tails From The Cafe