Alone

Options
stacey1977
stacey1977 Member Posts: 36
edited 15. Aug 2022, 15:05 in Chat to our Helpline Team

Hi I don't think I have ever felt so lonely like I do now

I recently had an operation on my knee it was an osteotomy well on the 24th May and although I told everyone and for the first couple of days there was people now there is no one i'm on my own from 830 am till 330 pm

The pain is easing but now I have a rash on the foot same side I was operated on and it's very itchy

I also have the people who think they know best and what I should be doing when really they don't have a clue

I have wrote on this site and no replies so i'm wondering if i'm writing to no one which I will find out when I don't get a reply which I don't blame you because no one wants to hear what I say so why should you read this

Tagged:

Comments

• helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,490
    edited 4. Jul 2022, 12:36
    Options

Hi Stacey1977

Thank you for your posting Stacey. I am so sorry to hear that you are feeling so lonely. It can be very difficult when you are recovering from surgery to be alone so much especially as at first you were not on your own. Having surgery is a very individual event. For everyone it will be a different experience and it can be very difficult explaining how you are feeling and for others to understand this. It does sound like you are recovering from the surgery as you have said that the pain is now easing and I hope this means that you will be able to be less isolated. Have you spoken to a health care professional about the rash you have developed so that they can advise you and treat this?

I am sorry that you have posted on the online community and have not received a response. Our Helpline forum advisors respond to the postings we receive on the Chat to Helplines thread and I am sorry if your have posted on here before that and we have not responded.

Having arthritis can affect our feelings and emotions and having someone to talk to can be important. Below I have put a link in to our information on emotional wellbeing and also a link to see if there are any of our branches or groups in your area where people meet who have the shared experience of arthritis.

Emotional Wellbeing

In your Area - Versus Arthritis local branches and groups

I am unsure of your age but the Silverline helpline is for older people and is a free confidential helpline offering friendship, conversation and support.

Silverline 0800 4 70 80 90

I hope that this information is helpful to you.

Best Wishes

Dawn

Helpline Advisor

• stacey1977
    stacey1977 Member Posts: 36
    Options

Hi Dawn

I'm only 44 and there are no groups in my area

• helpline_team
    Options

Hi Stacey 1977

Thank you for your post Stacey and for letting me know this. I wonder if reaching out to others by chat through the forum via our Living Well thread might be of help? I will put a link for this below. It may help to reach out to others to chat and hear of others' experiences. Also, can you speak to your GP about how you are feeling and for them to provide support for you?

Living with arthritis — Versus Arthritis

You could also call us here on the helpline where you can talk things through with one of our helpline team. You can do this by calling 0800 5200 520 and we are open weekdays 9am - 6pm.

I hope that this is helpful.

Best Wishes

Dawn

Helpline Advisor

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options

Hello again @stacey1977 . I'm sorry you're still finding recovery so tough.

If you remember, when I replied to your pre-op / post-op thread, I did say I couldn't recall anyone on here having this op and that that would be why you had got no replies.

I also tried to explain why orthopaedic ops required a long recovery period and said your operating team should have explained this pre-op so that you could make an informed decision on whether or not to have the op. Please don't feel alone. Post on Living With Arthritis or, better still, on Val's Cafe for non-arthritis chat. I 'm confident it was the word 'osteotomy" that put people off before. Definitely not you.

A rash might be unimportant but it might also be important so best to get it checked out.

Good luck.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright