Methotrexate

Options
Coca
Coca Member Posts: 2
edited 11. Aug 2022, 12:22 in Living with arthritis

I've been taking Sulfasalazine for around 8 months now but a recent MRI showed that I have active disease and my consultant has suggested I start taking Methotrexate. My issue with this is that in around seven weeks I am going on the holiday of a lifetime and would like to enjoy some fizz and cocktails but I cannot exceed 14 units/week. I also take Trimehoprim occasionally for UTI and my consultant has said that I would just stopping taking the Methotrexate for a week if I needed to take the Trimethoprim to treat the UTI.

My question is this - if I can stop taking Methotrexate on a weekly basis to treat a UTI, if required, could I also stop taking it for two weeks to allow me to enjoy my holiday (including BA Business Class free fizz)?

Has anyone else stopped and started Methotrexate?

Tagged:

Comments

• Sharon_K
    Sharon_K Member Posts: 460
    Options

Hi @Coca

welcome to the community. I see you are interested in learning more about people's experience of taking Methotrexate. I would honestly suggest you discuss this with your rheumatologist. They are incredibly understanding and knowledgeable about these things and understand that we do have special occasions in our lives.

I am sure some of our members will share their expertise with you. You have time to sort this before your holiday of a life time. Enjoy it either way ☺️

Best wishes

Sharon

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options

In the past I've had to stop it for several weeks before orthopaedic ops and I believe we all just stop it (I do) when on antibiotics. But - a big but - I've been on it for over 20 years and I believe it can make more of a difference in the early years .

I always have the compli,entary wine when flying long haul. I dislike champagne and any fizzy substitutes so I stick with wine. But the 14 units per week rule is for all not just those of us who take meth, the reason being that alcohol, like meth, is processed in the liver which is why we need our ALT levels checked in our regular blood tests.

This might help you to decide

and this is perhaps even more explanatory www.creakyjoints.org/living-with-arthritis/alcohol-and-arthritis/

At least have a word with your local pharmacist.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options

Sorry. This is the correct link to Creaky Jointshttps://creakyjoints.org/living-with-arthritis/alcohol-and-arthritis/

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright