Sulphalazine

Options
Mirimont
Mirimont Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:09 in Living with arthritis

Hi there I have had Rheumatoid Arthritis for 21 years and mainly been taking Methotrexate. When that started to give me loss of taste I tried Lefluamife with the same issue arising. I'm now taking Sulphalazine and it doesn't seem to be working. Does anyone know how long it should take to work?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options

All DMARDS can take up to 12 weeks to work but I've not heard of any causing loss of taste. You've not had covid, have you? That can.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Louisa77
    Louisa77 Administrator Posts: 252
    Options

Hi @Mirimont

Welcome to the community 😊

Having RA for so long and finding the right medication can be such a challenge. I'm sorry to hear you had that side effect from Methotrexate and Leflunomide.

Here's some info about RA and the different treatments, which I hope you will find useful.

Methotrexate, Leflunomide, Sulfasalazine are known as DMARDs, here's some more info on this and the side effects. In this it states it can take at least 1-3 months before you notice symptoms improving.

Disease-modifying anti-rheumatic drugs (DMARDs) | Side-effects (versusarthritis.org)

Hopefully some other members will post about their experience too.

Best wishes

Louisa

Need more help? Call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm