Nervous about mtx

Options
Kellye89
Kellye89 Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:09 in Living with arthritis

Hi everyone,

I’m 32, diagnosed with RA 2 years ago after a year of symptoms. I have a 3 year old and a 1 year old and am currently breastfeeding so limited in what I can take. Planning to stop bf soon so that I can start methotrexate like my rheumatologist would like, but a) I feel very sad about this and b) I’m petrified to start the methotrexate!

please could I have some positive stories about starting it, I’m so anxious about the side effects and the long term consequences of it :( how do people manage the side effects and parenting small children? Do the positives outweigh the negatives?

and has anybody been in the same situation with having to give up bf before they were ready? (I am on some bf friendly drugs but they aren’t working very well, really)

thanks for reading!

Comments

• Ellen
    Ellen Moderator Posts: 1,628
    Options

Good Morning @Kellye89

A very warm welcome to the Online Community. I see from your post that you have Rheumatoid Arthritis and two young children one of whom you are still breastfeeding.

The medication you are taking which is safe for breast-feeding, but isn't enough for your RA so the Rheumatologist wants you to take Methotrexate (MTX). Giving up breastfeeding is such a sad time for many women, but you are being advised to do so for your own health.

I did a search here and failed to find and threads about Breast-feeding and MTX, but I did find this 'old' read only thread which contains much useful information by @jenzie06 (part way into the thread) I do think it's worth a read:

and this story by Jessica about Motherhood:

I will leave our members to share their own experiences with Methotrexate which can be very very positive.

I hope you'll decide to remain on the forum and let our members support you. Do take a look around now you're here. Living with Arthritis tends to be the most popular after 'Say Hello' of course.

Very best wishes

Ellen.

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,424
    Options

Oh Kelly I am sorry you are needing to stop breast feeding your baby sooner than you are ready. This bloomin disease makes me so 😡 sometimes.

To be honest not all of us have the side effects that you have read about and for those of us who do they are often eased by the timing of our medication (I advocate evening so you sleep some off!) as well as folic acid and some of us find certain foods really help. Savoury for me every time.

You are currently struggling if I'm understanding you so that is probably every day. Which is so tough with two small children. If you are unlucky and have a day or so feeling a bit 'hung-over' the consequence of less pain, stiffness, fatigue and swelling sounds better to me.

Anyway hugs to you having to make such an unfair choice ((())) We are here to support you and offer our tips if you need us

Toni x