I need help

Hi everyone, I’m 24, RA diagnosed for 3 years, however I’m sero-negative.

I have problems with doctors gaslighting me and not believing just how much I am struggling with RA. They haven’t offered any additional help or followed up on any tests no matter how many times I request it.

I have not had any support since the diagnosis, and I don’t know what to do. My methotrexate makes me so sick and nauseous I keep being sick and that has resulted in me not taking the medication which I know is not good. I went to see a doctor about that and he made it into a joke and said “so we are poisoning you but at least your immune system isn’t attacking you as bad” then he proceeds to laugh at me.

obviously this put me off contacting anyone for help with this but for the last few months it’s just got worse and worse, and I can’t sleep due to the severe pain I’m in.

they didn’t assist me in finding the right pain relief either, told me to use paracetamol which obviously doesn’t touch the agony I am in. I fought for co-codamol but even that doesn’t do what I need it to do.

they also denied me a cortisone injection as i have already had 2.

I have no support network and I feel I need a lot more support and even aid but I have no one to talk to about this that can have the smallest understanding.

being diagnosed also took a bad toll on my already bad mental health and it completely shifted my life. I am still grieving the person I used to be and I have a lot of built up anger towards the healthcare system for not helping me more.

I have a blue badge, and I’ve tried hot and cold compresses, massages, splints, the whole lot and I just don’t know what else to try. I have tried changing my diet to see if that helped but I felt no different.

can someone help or maybe share some ideas or tips for me? Would be so grateful.

Comments

• Anna
    Anna Moderator Posts: 1,074

Hello @BerglindO and welcome to the online community,

I'm sure you'll find plenty of help and support from our friendly members, all of whom are living with some form of arthritis.

So, you were diagnosed with sero-positive RA three years ago and you don't feel that you have been supported by your GP as your RA seems to be getting worse and the medication is making you sick.

There have been a few discussions on the forum about dealing with your GP and consultant - I've linked to one below:

It can be difficult trying to get across to medical professionals how you're feeling - sometimes it helps to keep a diary of the pain that you're experiencing, or to write a list of things you need to talk about before your appointment. You mention that you are finding it difficult to take methotrexate - this is really something to discuss with your Rheumatology professional rather than your GP.

You might like to have a look at the Young People's Community on this forum - it can often help to chat with other people who are in a similar situation to yourself.

All the best,

Anna (Mod)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm