Hi all 👋
Very new to this so bear with me! After some years with mild/manageable psoriasis it has in the past couple of months really escalated, and alongside that I have developed psoriatic arthritis. 7-8 weeks ago I was fine. I now have crippling pain in my knees, one ankle, my neck, two fingers and an elbow. I've been through codeine and Naproxen and have managed to get a cancellation for a steroid jab which I had at the end of the week - so far it has taken the edge off and loosened up my elbow and fingers but I am still overall sore. On a bad day - or without meds - it is excruciating, I struggle to get dressed or even turn over in bed/pull the duvet over me. My GP has referred me to a rheumatologist (and dermatologist) and I'm awaiting appointments.
I am contemplating applying for PIP and/or a blue badge, and thinking about it now because I know how long it can take. I guess my question is: is it too soon? When I haven't seen a rheumatologist yet or tried many of the treatments available so I don't really know the prognosis, I don't know if that will count against me? I have had blood tests though that have confirmed inflammatory markers are FAR too high and in conjunction with my psoriasis and PsA symptoms my GP is confident that's what it is.
What are people's experiences? Is it worth me applying, as it is definitely having an impact on my day to day life and mobility, or should I wait until I've had more treatments so I better understand what long term will look like?
Sorry this is a long post, just so new to this I am processing and trying to get my head round a life that has changed drastically in a few weeks 😕
Thanks for reading!
Hello @Gemgems welcome to our friendly community.
I understand that you have mild/manageable psoriasis and developed psoriatic arthritis and awaiting rheumatologist (and dermatologist) appointments.
I have attached a link for your information, in particular about financial help:
Psoriatic arthritis | Psoriatic arthritis | Causes, symptoms, treatments (versusarthritis.org)
Do keep posting and have a look at our website.
All the best.0
I'd check with Citizens' Advice re PIP.. As for a BB, have a look here https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/blue-badge-can-i-get-one/can-i-get-a-blue-badge
One thing I would suggest is that you get any supporting evidence you can ie from GP, consultant or physio. I really don't know what your chances are. But you can always try. Good luçk.1
Thanks both ❤️0
Have you had a look at this @Gemgems ?
You have to have had your condition for at least 3 months it says and will link you to the Govt site for PIP if you want to go there.
My advice is to photocopy your paperwork so you don't forget what you put and all the valuable information doesn't have to be searched out again for future reapplications etc.
Best of luck
Hi Gemjems, you don’t say how old you are but if you are of pension age I don’t think you can make a new claim for pip.
and you can’t apply for a blue badge unless you have been awarded the high mobility element of pip therefore you have to wait to see if you are awarded pip first.
hope this makes sense
if you're of pension age you can make a claim for Attendance Allowance instead of PIP but unlike PIP that doesn't have a mobility element to it so that would affect getting a blue badge.0
Thank you - that's really helpful!1
- 8.8K All Categories
- 1.4K Welcome
- 4.5K Say Hello
- 16 How to use your online community
- 30 Help, Guidelines and Get in Touch
- 39.8K Our Community
- 3.4K Living with arthritis
- 12 Hints and Tips
- 198 Work and financial support
- 374 Young people's community
- 7 Parents of Children with Arthritis
- 32 My Triumphs
- 121 Let's Move
- 13 Sports and Hobbies
- 5 Food and Diet
- 254 Coronavirus (COVID-19)
- 28 Feedback and ideas
- 618 Chat to our Helpline Team
- 311 Chat and News
- 27 Val's Cafe
- 249 Chit chat
- 11 News
- 4 Tails From The Cafe