PIP

Options

Hi all 👋

Very new to this so bear with me! After some years with mild/manageable psoriasis it has in the past couple of months really escalated, and alongside that I have developed psoriatic arthritis. 7-8 weeks ago I was fine. I now have crippling pain in my knees, one ankle, my neck, two fingers and an elbow. I've been through codeine and Naproxen and have managed to get a cancellation for a steroid jab which I had at the end of the week - so far it has taken the edge off and loosened up my elbow and fingers but I am still overall sore. On a bad day - or without meds - it is excruciating, I struggle to get dressed or even turn over in bed/pull the duvet over me. My GP has referred me to a rheumatologist (and dermatologist) and I'm awaiting appointments.

I am contemplating applying for PIP and/or a blue badge, and thinking about it now because I know how long it can take. I guess my question is: is it too soon? When I haven't seen a rheumatologist yet or tried many of the treatments available so I don't really know the prognosis, I don't know if that will count against me? I have had blood tests though that have confirmed inflammatory markers are FAR too high and in conjunction with my psoriasis and PsA symptoms my GP is confident that's what it is.

What are people's experiences? Is it worth me applying, as it is definitely having an impact on my day to day life and mobility, or should I wait until I've had more treatments so I better understand what long term will look like?

Sorry this is a long post, just so new to this I am processing and trying to get my head round a life that has changed drastically in a few weeks 😕

Thanks for reading!

Comments

• Lane
    Lane Member Posts: 113
    Options

Hello @Gemgems welcome to our friendly community.

I understand that you have mild/manageable psoriasis and developed psoriatic arthritis and awaiting rheumatologist (and dermatologist) appointments.

I have attached a link for your information, in particular about financial help:

Psoriatic arthritis | Psoriatic arthritis | Causes, symptoms, treatments (versusarthritis.org)

Do keep posting and have a look at our website.

All the best.

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options

I'd check with Citizens' Advice re PIP.. As for a BB, have a look here https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/blue-badge-can-i-get-one/can-i-get-a-blue-badge

One thing I would suggest is that you get any supporting evidence you can ie from GP, consultant or physio. I really don't know what your chances are. But you can always try. Good luçk.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Gemgems
    Gemgems Member Posts: 7
    Options

Thanks both ❤️

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,414
    Options

Have you had a look at this @Gemgems ?

You have to have had your condition for at least 3 months it says and will link you to the Govt site for PIP if you want to go there.

My advice is to photocopy your paperwork so you don't forget what you put and all the valuable information doesn't have to be searched out again for future reapplications etc.

Best of luck

Toni x

• Pads
    Pads Member Posts: 2
    Options

Hi Gemjems, you don’t say how old you are but if you are of pension age I don’t think you can make a new claim for pip.

and you can’t apply for a blue badge unless you have been awarded the high mobility element of pip therefore you have to wait to see if you are awarded pip first.

hope this makes sense

good luck

• scotleag
    scotleag Member Posts: 84
    Options

if you're of pension age you can make a claim for Attendance Allowance instead of PIP but unlike PIP that doesn't have a mobility element to it so that would affect getting a blue badge.

• Gemgems
    Gemgems Member Posts: 7
    Options

@scotleag and @Pads thank you - 38 so a long way till I'm pensionable... And also a long life of managing a condition ahead of me 😔

• Dasha_Karu
    Dasha_Karu Member Posts: 17
    Options

Hi I agree with about getting as much paper work as you can. I have highlighted both these answers and your original post. as I myself and beginning to wonder the same thing , If I can claim anything. just been told 2 weeks ago I have arthritis in both my knees.

• Gallowgate
    Options

I applied for pip. Got turned down. So had to ring and disagree.waiting to see on that. If not then I'll have to go to tribunal.

• remmingtonwildhunter
    Options

Morning you can apply for a blue bage even if your not on the higher rate i have a blue badge with osteoarthritis knes replaced wrists gused and ankle twice just remenberits your worse day and how bad you are..

• Terry
    Terry Member Posts: 6
    Options

Regarding PIP, why are you waiting ?

I did what you are doing now waiting thinking I am not bad enough.

I missed out on years of help.

I would say ring PIP and get the ball rolling, in my opinion you would be entitled to at least the Daily living part either lower rate or higher rate, you must require help doing simple things like cooking, getting dressed and showering, you do not go off your good days and you do not go off how you feel straight after injections or pain relief medication, you go off how you would feel and cope on a bad day.

The mobility side to PIP goes off two questions, you need 12 points to get the high rate

Activity 2 considers a claimant’s physical ability to move around without severe discomfort, such as breathlessness, pain or fatigue. This includes the ability to stand and then move up to 20 metres, up to 50 metres, up to 200 metres and over 200 metres. As with all the other activities, a claimant is to be assessed as satisfying a descriptor only if they can do so reliably.

1. Can stand and then move more than 200 metres, either aided or unaided. 0 points
    2. Can stand and then move more than 50 metres but no more than 200 metres, either aided or unaided. 4 points
    3. Can stand and then move unaided more than 20 metres but no more than 50 metres. 8 points
    4. Can stand and then move using an aid or appliance more than 20 metres but no more than 50 metres. 10 points
    5. Can stand and then move more than 1 metre but no more than 20 metres, either aided or unaided. 12 points
    6. Cannot, either aided or unaided - (i) stand; or (ii) move more than 1 metre. 12 points

So if on a bad day you would answer this question with 5 or 6 that gets you 12 points and the higher rate of mobility PIP.

If you get the high rate of Mobility it entitles you to a Blue Badge.

Blue Badge.

If you get Mobility PIP

Other ways are to apply and send any medical evidence and explain your problems with walking distance any medication you are on including injections from Hospital.

I had my first Blue badge issued with medical letters and medication proof, and an explanation of my Arthritis. lasted 3 years, just reapplied with my PIP award.

When I first applied for PIP I received the lower rate of daily living only, I could not walk anywhere without pain, I could not dress and shower on my own and needed help to cook a full meal, my problem was I was to proud and in my assessment I did not tell them how I was on a bad day, I told them that some time I could do this.

BIG Mistake, after speaking with people they told me I di not qualify because I did not tell the truth, I applied to amend my claim and had a new assessment.

I know receive the high rate of both parts of PIP.

Do not hang around.

Good luck