3rd day after hip replacement

Options
Dianes1
Dianes1 Member Posts: 43
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:09 in Living with arthritis

Hi everyone, really in need of support. I would like to start by saying that friends and family have always said I have a high pain threshold. Up until 3 days ago I walked about 5-7 miles with my dogs in excruciating pain but never let it bother me so I thought I would be able to cope with the pain after the op. However I have found it unbearable even though I have been been given loads of strong drugs. Spent all day crying in pain yesterday which is not like me. The surgeon said my other hip is as severe and advised to have that one done ASAP but don't think I could go through it. As anyone else suffered like this. Obviously I realise it is a major op. Thanks everyone for listening.

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,474
    Options

Oh dear @Dianes1

I am not a 'hippy' they will be along soon (@RogerBill @Lilymary and many more from this and last year)I'm sure, but I have had surgery so can definitely relate to what you're saying.

There's the pain that you get used to - I almost think it comes from within you - I know that pain and don't like it, but don't fear it if you know what I mean? Post surgery pain is very different. Someone has caused immense trauma to your soft tissues. They have moved things about in areas that shouldn't ever see the light of day. Nerves and tendons and muscles have been moved or sewn into place who knows? the tissues are bruised and swollen. This all can cause new and shocking pain.

Personally I think I do not do well with surgery (anaesthetic particularly) which makes me very tearful is this maybe relevant to you too?

My own back surgery (seems big enough to compare a little to your experience) I bitterly regretted for quite some time. My own recovery seemed incredibly slow compared to others I did not feel better and in fact felt worse initially, but now I promise I do not regret it at all.

I'm sure you will get some reassurance from those who know far better than me about hip surgery and am sending you huge ((())) for now

Toni x

• RogerBill
    RogerBill Member Posts: 223
    Options

Hi @Dianes1 I had my left hip replaced in Sept 2021. A few thoughts I can offer which may help: Before the operation you were familiar with the pain so had learnt to manage it and live with it. But osteoarthritis is progressive and left untreated it would only have got worse. After the operation the pain is different but will get better.

Bear in mind that recovery should be viewed as a marathon not a sprint. Don't overdo things especially during the first few weeks. Do observe all the rules eg don't bend more than 90°, do sleep on your back, don't sit more than an hour, use the crutches and do the recommended exercises. Take an hour after lunch to lie down and doze to catch up on some of the sleep you'll inevitably be losing during the night. Eat well while your body is recovering as it'll need more good food than normal. Avoid alcohol as it can either react with pain killers or reduce their effectiveness.

Remember that hip replacement operations have been done for many years and the techniques have been gradually refined over that time and many 10,000s of such operations are done each year. Everyone is different so perhaps in a few days time, if things haven't improved, you may need to discuss alternative pain killers or different dosages with your hospital.

• RogerBill
    RogerBill Member Posts: 223
    Options

Hi again @Dianes1 Another thought: Cold and heat can help with the pain. Some years ago I'd bought a belt with two gel packs for my back. The gel packs can be put in either the freezer or microwave. I preferred them hot but others say cold or alternating hot and cold worked best.

• TLee
    TLee Member Posts: 88
    Options

I hear you. This is a worry that makes me hesitate to have the surgery (even if I could get my dr and insurance company to allow it--bone on bone OA for years, with movement severely limited , c'mon guys!!). The only surgical procedure I've ever had was a "minor" procedure for a pacemaker, and I did not do well with even that level of pain. I think it is more a mental thing with me, as others here have suggested. Someone does something TO you to cause pain, and it's almost like a violation, even though it is done with your permission & usually for your own good. I felt very, very sorry for myself, was positive that I had made the wrong decision, and was really mad at the doctor! I cried a lot too, when I wasn't ranting. I can only imagine the reaction I'll have to a major operation, and it's not gonna be pretty! What you (& I) need to keep in mind is that things will get better--this forum is a good place to find that encouragement. The body will heal, and the pain and limitations caused by that bad joint will be gone! I wish you a quick and complete recovery. **When I have my doubts about going through this myself, my husband, who sees me hobbling, hears my screams from the pain and helps me put on my shoes & socks (among other things), says, "You need this!!"

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,742
    edited 12. Dec 2022, 15:41
    Options

Hi @Dianes1 I'm sorry you're in so much pain at the moment. Hospitals vary in how fast they send people home after surgery, but I was very fortunate that my hospital kept people in for 3 nights. Frankly if they'd sent me home I'm not sure how I would have coped ..... actually I am sure - I WOULDN'T have coped! I was on intravenous pain relief which was topped up most days as often as I needed it, which I seem to remember was quite often. I was enormously grateful for the support of the nurses whenever I needed it, and would have felt very vulnerable at home in those first few days. I'm not a weepy person, but suddenly found myself in floods for no obvious reason in hospital, and the nurses said that was completely normal too. They said it was an effect of the anaesthetic, but to be honest I suspect it's just the sudden realisation of what has just been done to your body. I burst into tears in the car park on the way home too. I also had my weepy moments when the pain and effort ground me down when I was at home. It's a tough experience.

I was sent home with oramorph and codeine. I found the pain was worst at night, despite lying in my back propped up on pillows. I decided against the codeine as my bowels had only just recovered, somewhat dramatically, from 12 months of codeine constipation, but I did resort to the odd swig of morphine at night when I had a pain flare up (which was sometimes eye-wateringly painful). I think that went on for about 10 days post op, on and off. My backside felt like a football at the end of a cup final, so sitting on soft fluffy pillows was the order of the day for about 3 weeks, but I mostly found I didn't need pain relief during the day, maybe other than paracetamol from time to time. But everyone's different. Some will feel it more, some less. Did your hospital leave you a number to call if you have any concerns? If your pain levels don't start reducing, it might be worth giving them a ring. I had the nurses on hand during the worst of it, it must feel tough if there's no-one to call on.

Be kind to yourself. As others have said, it is a BIG operation, even if it is routine and a relatively short time in theatre. Your body has a lot to recover from, but IT WILL. The first week or two are the worst, as the implant beds in and you get used to shuffling around on crutches while everything heals. Take everything very slowly. My pain levels were so high I couldn't do the exercises for a while, although I did start very short walks out of the house quite early on (by short, I mean about 100 yards on the first trip out, then building up very gradually after). The walking wasn't too painful, but it did feel very odd. I went a bit too far one day and my muscles (actually my whole body) suddenly said "Nope, not doing this" and my husband had to get the car to drive me 500 yards home.

Do this at your own speed. Listen to your body, rest as you need it, take pain relief for flare ups, and slowly increase what you are able to do each day. It's important to stress, "This Is Not A Race!" Help your body to heal and settle into the new joint, but don't feel you have to hit some notional target or keep up with the superhumans out there.

If you want to see how a fellow mortal got through this, I kept a blog on this forum from Day 1 of surgery, where I'm pretty frank about how rubbish it felt. You might find it useful. (I had some unusual soft tissue complications with mine, so you may actually recover faster than I did).

Take heart, this will get better, it's ok to feel rubbish and sorry for yourself right now, you've been through a lot. But you'll get there! xx

• Dianes1
    Options

Thank you all so much for your replies and encouragement. It helped me yesterday tremendously. I had an awful evening but so much better this morning. Walked around the house twice and done exercises twice so far.

I feel awful now about expressing the pain I was in as the last thing I wanted to do was put people off having it done, but I had met others who said it was a "doddle" so I thought something must have gone wrong. All I would say is that ask for painkillers early rather wait for the pain to get to bad. I almost had to beg for stronger medication. All they offered was paracetamol. I have been sent home with 28 codeine to see me through.

Thank you all again and hopefully I will be on here soon offering support. x

• TLee
    TLee Member Posts: 88
    Options

So glad things are getting better. I agree that having adequate pain relief is important. Why do they seem to want us to suffer? It doesn't help the healing process! Here in the states doctors are looked at hard if they prescribe narcotics, so it can be ridiculous. My 84-year-old mother was in the hospital with unbearable pain due to her spine basically disintegrating. My sister & I were begging the doctors to increase the pain meds and they were reluctant, citing the dangers of addiction. My sister looked at our elderly, frail mother lying in the hospital bed & said, "I don't really see her robbing convenience stores to feed a drug habit--give her the drugs!"

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,742
    Options

You’re quite right @Dianes1 , my nurses also said part of the healing and recovery process is managing the pain. Don’t worry about putting people off by being honest. I sometimes wish I’d been warned by my hippy friends, but everyone experiences pain differently, and given my tendon problem, mine probably wasn’t typical anyway. The main thing is this is the place to come if you need to have a moan. There are lots of sympathetic ears and practical advice on here. I’m pleased things are just beginning to improve for you, I suspect you’re over the very worst bit now, it’ll be a hard grind for a bit longer, but just take it steady xx

• CliveClive
    CliveClive Member Posts: 28
    Options

@Dianes1 Hi there, just wanted to add my support that things will get better, you need to stay positive. I'm 12 weeks post op for right hip and I can relate to how you feel. Days were better than nights for pain but listen to your body, and rest whenever you can. I still use a stick to walk and laugh when I hear of this magical 6 week stage, when all suddenly improves. We are all different. Take whatever pain relief you need. I use a hot water bottle that eases aches on my hip. I can also swim 3 times a week, which is making great improvement. Hang on it there, things will ease.

• Dianes1
    Options

Oh your poor mother and you and your sister having to watch her suffer. It is ridiculous. Hope she is feeling better now. I was given my 28 tablets and told no longer than three days meaning I should be pain-free tomorrow. I don't think that is going to happen.

• ellyb39
    ellyb39 Member Posts: 14
    Options

I am seven weeks now, and those horrible first two weeks are fading, just like childbirth does. It is painful uncomfortable and exhausting, but it really does not last so long and soon begins to get better. For me, and everyone has a different recovery rate, its important to remember that, it is not acompetition, but for me, i am now quite often even forgetting I have a new hip. Swimming, exercising walking but still a little nervous to take my dog for a walk , shes big and pulls. I dont like muddy or slippy surfaces, but guess thats just all part of the recovery because remember,,, this is a positive operation, to make you better, not worse.

• Dianes1
    Options

Thanks ellybe, you describe it perfect. My other hip shows on xray as severe too so surgeon said to put my name down for that in three months time. At the moment, like childbirth, the answer is no way. Strangely I don't get much pain from it.

Like yourself I have two Golden Retrievers that pull so I think my husband will be walking them on his own for about three months.

Much better day although for the first time in 7 days My leg has swollen up and my ankle is like a balloon. I have done what booklet said by elevating 3 times a day and exercising 3-4 days. Not sure if I should contact the medical team. Anyway, so pleased to read your progress, keep it up.

• ellyb39
    ellyb39 Member Posts: 14
    Options

Diane, my ankle and leg swelled a lot and elevated on a cushion and ice as well. It will go down, just has had a very nasty shock!! Even now if i do too much it swells a little. Its a major operation and you are in the early days, but positive outcomes will appear and you are on the up!!

• Dianes1
    Options

Thanks elly