Wide fit hiking boots

Options

I have RA in my toes, I had a bunion op a couple of years ago which did not go well and the surgeon ended up doing it again and at the same time he did some work on my 2nd and 3rd toes.

Anyway I have really wide feet, I could be a hobbit.... Can anyone recommend hiking boots with a really wide toe box, after some looking I have come across the below -

Meindl Comfort fit range

hanwag Straight fix extra

I was wondering if anyone has experience with either?

TIA

Tis Meeee

Comments

• airwave
    airwave Member Posts: 579
    Options

You might like to get some advice from the Podriactics Department at your local hospital, they will take an impression of your feet and come up with a solution to your sore feet. The solution will be a custom made shoe insert, renewable every year, cheaper than buying expensive hiking boots which may not work? The shoe insert is made to fit your shoes what ever they are, you will also get expert advice on your choice of shoes.

pits a grin, honest!

• FClayton
    FClayton Member Posts: 19
    Options

I love Meindl, so much more comfortable than others; but it is well worth going for a proper fitting as they can make sure there are no rub/ pressure points. Some places that do fittings will also offer specific boot stretching that can target a small area that needs to be a bit wider. I also like using elastic laces as that gives you a bit of flex as you walk. I find this really helps.

• Meeee
    Meeee Member Posts: 19
    Options

thanks, the issue is finding a shoe wide enough to get an insole in. I did have the custom ones pre bunion op, but it is more of a width thing now. I don't really need the insoles anymore but my feet are very wide so need a very wide fitting boot.

Tis Meeee
  • Meeee
    Meeee Member Posts: 19
    Options

thank you, I have seen shops that do stretching but cannot find anything locally in Devon. I will see if I can find a stockist of the meindl wide fit ones.

Thanks for the tip on the laces that is really useful, I would of never though of that.

Tis Meeee
  • airwave
    airwave Member Posts: 579
    Options

Elastic laces on hiking boots on a rough trail could be interesting…. BOING!!!

it’s a grin, honest!

• Gordonmac
    Gordonmac Member Posts: 3
    Options

Altberg do very wide fittings , boots are leather and can be resoled at the factory in Richmond

• Faballball
    Options

Any footwear for swollen arthritic women. Sent last 3 pairs i ordered on line back as couldn't get my feet in them. I take 8 EEE in normal shoes and with the swelling even these don't fit without a double extension to the strap.