Medication

Newyear
Newyear Member Posts: 20
edited 2. Mar 2023, 14:28 in Chat to our Helpline Team

I am waiting for hip replacement and have been told should be by April. I take 400mg Tramadol, 1000mg Naproxen. Paracetamol, Amitryptaline. I have also been prescribed morphine a few weeks ago but the Morphine is not making any difference at all. The pain now is horrendous. I’m wondering if there is any other pain relief that is better. I’m end stage with bone on bone in my hip.

Tagged:

Comments

• Hi@Newyear

Thank you for your posting. I am so sorry to hear that you are in so much pain while you are waiting for a hip replacement. You would need to talk to your GP about how the pain relief you are using is not helping at all so they can advise you. I have put a link below for information on painkillers that may be helpful to you. Also I have put a link to our information on managing pain as there maybe other methods to manage the pain while you wait for your surgery that you may be able to discuss with your doctor. Some hospitals arrange pre-op physiotherapy for people undergoing joint replacement. This is to strengthen the muscles around the joint, making the recovery process much easier. Have a look at our hip replacement information, which contains useful advice on preparing for surgery. I hope that this is helpful to you.

Painkillers and NSAIDS

Managing your pain

Hip Replacement Surgery

Best Wishes

Dawn

Helpline Advisor

• ray44
    ray44 Member Posts: 5

Thank you Dawn, very useful and very much appreciated.

Ray

• jonr
    jonr Member Posts: 398

Hello Ray, really sorry to hear about your situation.

In terms of pain management, I have recently started taking CBD capsules and using a TENS machine, the latter in particular will provide pretty much instant relief as the electric impulses go straight to the brain and overide the signals your brain is getting that you are in pain. It will also help to release Endorphins which are the body's natural painkillers. Everyone's condition is specific to them, I just found that out of the umpteen things I take and try to do, these 2 things are my top-rated products for pain relief. I've just started Acupuncture as well, (literally this morning), so too early to say what effect that will have but when you're in constant pain you'll try anything I guess!