Capsaicin Cream

Options
jonr
jonr Member Posts: 398
edited 1. Jun 2023, 12:20 in Living with arthritis

Hiya,

I've had a call with my GP about the possibility of prescribing Capsaicin Cream or Ointment which he wasn't keen to do as in his opinion it wasn't a known treatment for OA as far as he was concerned.

So, being the determined sort of bloke I am, I've googled it and it can be bought over the counter or mail order, presumably in weaker preparations.

My questions to the Forum are: 1/ Is it worth buying over the counter? and 2/ Any recommended brands anyone is aware of?

TIA,

Jon

Tagged:

Comments

• jamieA
    jamieA Member Posts: 709
    Options

Hi @jonr

I've used capsaicin cream when required for the last year and a half. The cream you'd get from your GP is prescription only - you can't buy it over the counter in the UK. I posted about it back in 2021.

• Hermione
    Hermione Member Posts: 16
    Options

Haven’t used this but am surprised your GP doesn’t know that it is a well recognised topical treatment for OA. It’s even on the NHS choices website (search for OA and scroll through to “Treatment “. https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/osteoarthritis/treatment/

Hope link above works. Could you try asking to see a different doctor in the practice to see if they would prescribe it? Or show the link to the GP and if they are still refusing, ask them to tell you the exact reason why. It might be contraindicated for you for some genuine reason. If no joy with that, make a formal complaint to the practice and/or try getting a hospital consultant (if you see one) to ask GP to prescribe? I used the latter with GP who would not prescribe something and GP capitulated.

Would be interested to hear whether it works for you as my dad and I both have OA pain and voltarol gel doesn’t do much. Reluctant to take loads of oral painkillers.

• jonr
    Options

Hi Hermione and thanks for your help on this, I've managed to buy some on eBay, by all accounts it's a lower strength for OA than RA so more readily available though it did set me back quite a few quid! I'll let you know how I get on. I will mention this to my consultant (I'm being seen with a view to a double partial of full knee replacement).

As for other types of non-oral pain relief, I use a TENS machine and have recently started with Acupuncture, the latter has made a surprisingly big improvement - the swelling and heat is down in both legs so I'm going to carry on with that, at least to the minimum 4 recommended sessions and then assess.

If you and your father are affected by tendon/soft tissue pain then you could look at a soft tissue massaging gun, lets to choose from on Amazon. I use this to help relieve stiffness and relax the hamstrings which occasionally have a mind of their own and decide to lock up on me, really effective.

• Kerenza68
    Kerenza68 Member Posts: 15
    Options

I've been prescribed this, I haven't been on it long enough to know if it will help much but the heat is a pleasant sensation. My physio said that Gp's don't like prescribing it because it's expensive. I would definitely ask your gp again as the over the counter version isn't that strong, good luck.

• Kerenza68
    Kerenza68 Member Posts: 15
    Options

I've been prescribed this, I haven't been on it long enough to know if it will help much but the heat is a pleasant sensation. My physio said that Gp's don't like prescribing it because it's expensive. I would definitely ask your gp again as the over the counter version isn't that strong, good luck.

• AustraliaBaby1
    Options

• AustraliaBaby1
    Options

It's mostly my fingers that are affected and painful. Does anyone have any advice about the on the market compression gloves? My fingers are mostly misshapen at joints closest to nails.....so not sure if these would help. Anybody help me....?

• AustraliaBaby1
    Options

• Filbert
    Filbert Member Posts: 9
    Options

There are quite a few recipes for homemade capsaicin cream on line. I haven't tried myself as yet, but it seems easy to make. For example:

• Jacqui_S
    Jacqui_S Member Posts: 2
    Options

Anyone have any tips for applying capsaicin cream? I managed to get it on prescription for both my knees but it causes a cloud of irritating chilli dust around me that even others comment on.

I tried covering my knees with tubular bandaging to contain the dust but that doesn’t work. I rub it in really well and only use a pea sized amount on each knee. It seems to cause dust when my knees rub on clothing (trousers, tights, pyjamas …).

Its super-frustrating because I’m restricted in what painkillers I can take due to IBD.

Any tips gratefully received!

• Millymoo
    Millymoo Member Posts: 5
    Options

I’ve been prescribed it, but I can’t find a chemist in Leicester who will get it for me. They all say it’s unavailable!!! Pleaseeeee tell me which pharmacists get it for you?!?!

• jonr
    Options

Hi @Jacqui_S,

I apply a plethora of stuff to my knees each day, including Capsaicin cream and find elasticated knee supports not only aid with stability but prevent anything escaping and/or getting onto my clothes. I shower in the evening to wash any creams/gels away and don't reapply the creams as it's not recommended to wear knee supports for extended periods, plus I'm more comfortable in bed without them.

• jonr
    Options

@Millymoo,

In March it was reported that there is a shortage of prescribed strength Capsaicin Cream and supply chain issues won't clear until later this month so I think it's a country-wide shortage, not just confined to particular chemists.

Non-prescribed strength cream is freely available which is what I have to buy from eBay as my GP refuses to prescribe it for me.

• Trish9556
    Trish9556 Member Posts: 524
    Options

Hi @Jacqui_S

Sorry, I've only just seen this - if you're still having problems when you're applying the cream, try using a mask while rubbing it in

Love n hugs

Trish xx

• Axe09
    Axe09 Member Posts: 14
    Options

I too was prescribed it for my elbow (RA) and cannot find it anywhere. Apparently Teva Pharma are the only manufacture of the approved version. I contacted them and this was their reply:

"Good morning,Thank you for contacting Teva UK, regarding the availability of Capsaicin Cream. Unfortunately, this product is out of stock - it has a forecast to return in Q3 2023 (June - September).Kind Regards,Customer Solutions Team,Teva UK Limited.Tel: 0800590502"

• Blubegood
    Blubegood Member Posts: 4
    Options

I’ve been reading about this cream and according to one of the manufacturers you are not meant to run it in. You’re advised to let it dry naturally - it takes about 10mins to dry then you can dress.

I will see if I can find the info and copy it here for you x

• Filbert
    Filbert Member Posts: 9
    Options

There are quite a few recipes for homemade capsaicin cream on line. I haven't tried myself as yet, but it seems easy to make. For example

• jamieA
    jamieA Member Posts: 709
    Options

Hi @Filbert

I've used this recipe though I added about 50% more cayenne. I felt it helped my joints but worked differently from capsaicin cream in that the heat build up occurred over a longer period. I usually wore a knee support or tubigrip over the joint which retained the heat. The downside I found was that the red colouring of the cayenne stained my clothes. I looked for a clear or white pepper but couldn't find anything.