Recently starting this journey

Options
wendy19
wendy19 Member Posts: 15
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:10 in Living with arthritis

Hi All

I am newly diagnosed and like many people my condition came on over night. I have been diagnosed with RA. I am waiting to start Methotrexate next week. I have been reading about the side effects and just wondering about peoples experience. I am an Assistant Head in a primary school so I am a little concerned about the infection risk and trying to work with the side effects. I was just wondering what others experience on this is.

Thanks- trying to keep positive!

Comments

• Ellen
    Ellen Moderator Posts: 1,628
    Options

Well Hello again @wendy19 I've just replied to your other post.

It's lovely to meet you and welcome you to the Online Community.

I see from your post that you are about to start taking Methotrexate (MTX) for recently diagnosed Rheumatoid Arthritis.

As a deputy head teacher I can quite understand your concern about any infection risk at work. An awful lot of the precautions you took during the COVID pandemic will stand you in good stead now, such as thorough handwashing. You may already have read this information, but it is very comprehensive the section entitled 'Side Effects and risks' gives more advice on this issue.

As far as dealing with any side effects you might have, (by no means does everyone have them), people have all sorts of methods to cope including taking their medication perhaps on a Friday to give yourself the weekend to rest.

I wish you the very best of luck and hope that you'll decide to continue to use the Forum.

Best wishes

Ellen.

• wendy19
    wendy19 Member Posts: 15
    Options

Thankyou Ellen

, I had thought it would be best to take it on a Friday so I have the weekend. I guess I will just have to see if and what side effects I have once I have started it. I want to make sure I continue to have work life balance as this is something I have strived to achieve so I will also need to consider the impact on family life at the weekend. I am trying to plan ahead rather than dwell on it, so I will just have to wait and see the impact the medication has on me.

I am in full flair up at the moment with a huge knee! so I hope the steroid injection starts to work soon.