Adalimumab

Options
KazzaP
KazzaP Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:10 in Living with arthritis

Hi, I’m about to start Humira and have read up on reported side effects. One side effect, which is listed as common or very common in the BNF, is alopecia (or hair loss). I just wanted to know if anyone on this forum experienced that as a side effect while having treatment with this drug?

Comments

• Poppyjane
    Poppyjane Moderator Posts: 763
    Options

Hello @KazzaP welcome to the online community

You are about to start Humira and are concerned about possible side effects. Like many of us when we are first prescribed a new drug we read up about the possible side effects and weigh up the benefits against the possible problems that might affect us.There are going to be some drugs which don't suit you and/or which cause you concerns and if these outweigh the benefits then your medical team will be able to prescribe some thing else.

I attach a link to adalimumab in case you have not read it, and a thread from some members sharing their experiences.

https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/treatments/drugs/adalimumab/

https://community.versusarthritis.org/discussion/52591/anyone-using-adalimumab/

I hope you find these helpful, do let us know how you get on with your treatment, we look forward to hearing from you soon.

Take care

Poppyjane

If it would be helpful to talk to someone ring the Helpline 0800 5200 520

Monday - Friday 9.00a.m. - 6.00p.m.

• jamieA
    jamieA Member Posts: 717
    Options

Hi @KazzaP

As a balding 67 year old male I cannot comment on your question other than to say I've not lost any more hair in the almost 2 years I've been taking the adalimumab biosimilar Amgevita.

I know everyone is different in how they respond to medication but adalimumab has been a significant help to me. Two years ago even on max doses of sulfasalazine and methotrexate I could only walk with crutches and couldn't close my hands. Now I'm able to walk my dog 50-60kms a week - albeit with a limp - and do some basic DIY. I'm not cured by any means, but I am significantly more functional. I am aware it leaves me immunocompromised but I just take any precautions I can.