Diagnosed this week

Options
Joe90
Joe90 Member Posts: 6
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:10 in Living with arthritis

Hi all I have this week been told I have shoulder arthritis and a injection has been offered on the 19th this month, I have had no information other than that, I spoke with a very helpful person who has given me lots of information booklets online which I am going to read today, the person also pointed me here which seems to be lots of good people going through this as well, I am going to learn more here than I have been informed by the MSK person who I am dealing with. So all the best to everyone and thanks for reading my first post

Comments

• Anna
    Anna Moderator Posts: 991
    Options

Hi @Joe90 and welcome to the online community,

I’m glad to hear that this forum was recommended to you for help and advice with shoulder arthritis. All our members have experience of living with some form of arthritis and are very friendly, so I’m sure you’ll find some useful advice. I’ve posted a thread below from a couple of years back dealing with the same condition as yours - you might find some of the tips suggested by members to help with the pain useful:

Since you are newly diagnosed, it’s a great idea to read up as much as you can about your condition, as you’re doing. The Versus Arthritis website is very useful for this - lots of up to date and relevant information. Here’s a link to a page about exercises you can do to help with the pain:

Do have a look round the forum, and join in any conversations where you feel comfortable.

Anna ( Mod)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options

I hope it works. Sometimes they do and sometimes they don't but shoulders are nasty places to get comfortable when they hurt. Good luck with it. Oh and maybe ask about not using it much for 48 hours. The thinking behind this is to try to keep the jab where it's needed rather than working its way through the body.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • SUZESPEAR
    SUZESPEAR Member Posts: 2
    Options

new to site not been diagnosed yet GP next week. Did you go for scans etc or did GP tell you it was arthritis

• noddingtonpete
    noddingtonpete Moderator Posts: 1,038
    Options

Hello @SUZESPEAR and welcome to the Community. I hope that you will find the support you need and make new friends along the way.

I understand that you are awaiting a diagnosis to confirm arthritis. You do not say how this is affecting you, but do have a look through our website, it contains a lot of useful information about arthritis, treatments and Hints and Tips. As an example I've put a couple of links in below.

and

Please keep posting now you are here and I am sure others will connect with you to share their support and experiences as well.

With best wishes,

Peter (moderator)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on0800 5200 520Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Joe90
    Options

Hi I was seen by a MSK person who has had me x rayed hence finding out this week. GP just referred me to MSK person, GP so far only involvement is referral.

• Joe90
    Options

Hi Anna thank you for the information, I will be looking into this ASAP as I need to find my way to go forward with this, scary times indeed for me as I already now understand more as I have had surgery to both Knees as well, my thinking is both conditions seem to be similar in pain and maybe treatment as well. Many thanks

• Joe90
    Options

Hi I did have an Xray but as I said the person who gave me the result was how can I say this "peeved" after I asked for further information regarding the results. So to date I have been in email contact with the person who has offered the option for a second opinion to be carried out elsewhere, I am going to take this option up as I need clarification before having injections which I understand give a slight relief. Sorry for not being around to answer your replies but I have had Cataract surgery since posting and I am still recovering from that. Many thanks and all the best to you all

• Joe90
    edited 23. Jan 2024, 08:43
    Options

An update, so yesterday I see a person at the Physio hospital department, who gave me what was called the "safe" injection, also confirmed I have the Arthritis in the shoulder as well so from what was said this is a numbing type of injection, there was improvement but this also aggregated the AS in my spine at the neck, Had a bad night sleep over it, I have also had a "soft" massage to the arms and back, After that treatment I had a few good night sleeps indeed so will follow that up in the future, Another plus is I am now discharged from the Cataract operations and follow ups, Pick up my new reading glasses and polarized driving glasses both clear and dark for bright days in the future lol, The shoulder treatment is ongoing so more to report in the future, All the best to everyone