Seropositive Rheumatoid Arthritis

Options
aliceaggreyorleans
aliceaggreyorleans Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:11 in Living with arthritis

Hello,

I recently made a post asking about peoples' experiences on Sarilumab and Rituximab in relation to Rheumatoid Arthritis. I have been diagnosed since 2014 and have a restricted right elbow, swollen and tender joints and Tendonitis in my ankle. I have been offered to try either medicine and wanted to hear some opinions about side effects before making a decision.

Please let me know how it worked for you personally and how long it took before noticing a difference, as well as side effects and the severity of them. Regarding side effects, I'd like to know specifically about low moods and vomiting.

I was also wondering how much the immune system was affected? and if anyone used any side medication or home remedies or alternatively had to stop any?

Many thanks for sharing your experiences

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options

I've not tried either of these meds. I get by OK on meth and hydroxy. I do understand the anxiety about starting new meds but I don't really believe other people's experiences are of much value here as we're all so different plus people with bad experiences are much more likely to want to talk about them than those with good who are just out living happy lives.. If I want info on drugs I always check them out on www.drugs.com. Oh, and if you want to take any alternative meds alongside them do ask a pharmacist to check for interactions.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited 16. Aug 2023, 14:51
    Options

Hi @aliceaggreyorleans

Thank you for posting on our Online Community, we hope that your experience with us will be helpful in the future.

I agree with @stickywicket it can be an anxious time starting a new drug and as they said because we are all different what can affect one person may not affect another.

With Rituximab you’ll probably notice an improvement in your symptoms 8-16 weeks after you start treatment, with Sarilumab this can take 2-12 weeks to notice any improvement.

Rituximab the side effects are headaches, vomiting and low mood, with Sarilumab it seems that they are mainly cough, sore throat and a runny nose, but not everyone has these side effects and probably an in-depth conversation with your Healthcare practitioner may put your mind at rest.

Hope everything works out for you in the future.

Best wishes

Chris (Moderator)

• Woofy
    Woofy Member Posts: 274
    Options

Hi. Finally a kindred spirit. I was diagnosed with seropositive RA. I’m not entirely sure what that all means, but something to do with antibodies? I have been given Methotrexate, and two weeks ago. It was increased to 20mg.

they have talked about possibly introducing something alongside to help. I’m in a flair up at the moment, so have just been put back on steroids for three weeks. I am like you, two years ago, I was a fit and active older woman, now I can barely get dressed some days. I am trying to be positive though. I cling to the hope that they will find a combination of drugs that will keep this horrible pain under control. What have you been prescribed over the years, I’d be interested to know. Jayne