Help and advice

Daphne Member Posts: 27
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:11 in Living with arthritis

Hi everyone I need some advice, I have had osteoarthritis for about 10 years in my Hips and lower back which I try to manage through exercise and over the counter pain relief but recently I have been waking in the night with terrible pain in my fingers and wrists, I am unable to bend my fingers and the pain in my wrists makes me cry.I have also noticed that I have patches of psoriasis on my head under my hair (I know it is psoriasis because my mum suffered with psoriasis and arthritis most of her life) which is very irritating. I don't know what to do, I feel like I shouldn't ask the doctor for help because I'm over weight and it's only osteoarthritis and I'm frightened they won't believe me. Please help


  • Ellen
    Ellen Moderator Posts: 1,485


    I think you really should brave a visit to your GP. If it helps take someone with you for support.

    It is best to write down your symptoms too so that you can succinctly explain to them what is happening and how bad it is. Don't forget to mention your Mum's arthritis and psoriasis.

    Do let us know how you get on and best of luck.


    Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

  • jamieA
    jamieA Member Posts: 605

    Hi @Daphne

    I come from a family of psoriasis sufferers and had visible psoriasis from the age of 15. At 65 my knee swelled and then my hands wouldn't close. I was then diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis. It's reckoned that 1 in 4 people with psoriasis may go on to develop psoriatic arthritis. It's known that PsA can affect your sacroiliac joints where your spine joins to your pelvis - that's the case with me and I get intermittent pain in my lower back on the right side just below my belt line. I had an MRI scan of my lower back and my rheumatologist told me that my right sacroilic joint has been affected by my PsA.

    I'd suggest you need contact your GP and talk to them and ask for a referral to rheumatology for further investigation.

  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,016
    edited 22. Aug 2023, 10:14


    I agree with the above you can ask to see 'someone' dermatologist/rheumatologist both would be able to check it is or is not PsA I think.

    I agree though take someone with you and the Dr is far less likely to say anything about your weight.

    I hope our comments have made you feel more confident about going. I hate the Drs I always feel as though I'm wasting their time too, but this needs investigating.

    Fingers crossed for you.

  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Daphne
    Daphne Member Posts: 27

    Thankyou everyone for your advice I have managed to get a face to face appointment with my Dr but not until 11th September! I will let you know how it all goes xxx