Covid & Flu vaccinations together

Options

Has anyone had or is going to have the Autumn Covid booster at the same time as the flu Vaccination please. My GP surgery are doing both together and I have never had this done before.If you have were you ok? Thank you.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options

Always together. Never a problem. Go for it! (Them😆)

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • May53
    May53 Member Posts: 6
    Options

Thank you. Are you immunosuppressed? I have always had mine separately.

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options

Yes, I am. Been on methotrexate and hydroxychloroquine for years

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Jase
    Jase Member Posts: 7
    Options

No chance, it was the vaccine that caused my problems, pulmonary sarcoidosis and Ra, liver and kidney problems., I was healthy 48 Yr old 2 years ago, now I'm like an 80 Yr old man

• May53
    May53 Member Posts: 6
    Options

Sorry about that, so you didn't have any autoimmune problems before the vaccines?

• jamieA
    jamieA Member Posts: 712
    Options

Hi @May53

I've had both covid and flu vaccines at the same time in October 2021 and October 2022 and I'm due my 2023 double vaccine next month. I didn't suffer any ill effects other than a slightly sore upper arm from the flu vaccine - the two vaccines were given in different arms. I take sulfasalazine, methotrexate and an adalimumab biosimilar so my immune system is suppressed.

I understand what @Jase is saying that the covid vaccine can cause health problems in some people. However as someone who - according to a covid consultant - probably had covid in March 2020 and then went on to develop PsA, 3 bouts of pneumonia and a heart issue in the space of 7 months I'm taking up the offer of the vaccines.

• CG3
    CG3 Member Posts: 7
    Options

I had both together two weeks ago with no problem other than the usual sore arm from the Covid jab. Had them done in different arms. I have RA and am on immunosuppressants.

• JenHB
    JenHB Member Posts: 133
    Options

I had both last Saturday and had sore arms and had fatigue/tiredness most of the weekend so spent a lot of it dozing in bed! (I'm on methotrexate and hydroxychloroquine). But this was the reason I went for a Saturday morning slot so I had the weekend to rest

• Baloo
    Baloo Member Posts: 405
    edited 8. Oct 2023, 13:34
    Options

Looks like the soreness might be a common experience. My Mrs had both and now has two sore arms. I'm thinking to take mine on two separate days, although I don't normally suffer from soreness I fancy still being able to use my other arm if I have to! My left arm is a bit dead anyway so they can have it in that one.

• jamieA
    Options

Just a quick reminder that those on MTX should not take MTX for 2 weeks after having the covid vaccination to improve the efficacy of the covid vaccine.

• scotleag
    scotleag Member Posts: 84
    Options

My wife and I had both the same day almost two weeks ago. She is a cancer patient receiving outpatient treatment. I've had RA for 30 years and have been on MTX for several years. My wife had sore arms, swelling and tiredness. I had a bit of tiredness for 24-48 hours and no swelling (I took both in same arm, reasoning if there was going to be any pain or swelling it was best to keep one arm free).

It depends very much on the individual. My wife had exactly the same reaction to the 'flu jab every year when fit and well as she did to both jabs this year.

• MrDJ
    MrDJ Member Posts: 279
    Options

first time for me having both on same day last saturday.

flu at chemist then drove to hospital for 8th covid in other arm. i didnt take my methotrexate 20mg as same day as jab. see how i feel next saturday and may miss meth again as previously written about in medical journals meth does the same as the infusion so giving the jab time to work.

always check with a doctor first before deciding not to take your methotrexate.

no issues for me.only issue is it takes 2-3 weeks for covid jab to start working properly but in 3 weeks i have my anti tnf infusion which will wash away all the protection from the jab.

• jamieA
    Options

Hi @MrDJ

I'm on Amgevita(adalimumab) anti-TNF alpha self injections. I asked my rheumatologist as to whether I should halt the injection for 2 weeks after the covid vaccine as I have with MTX. She said there's no evidence that adalimumab reduced the efficacy of the covid vaccine. Do the infusions work differently?

• MrDJ
    edited 10. Oct 2023, 15:40
    Options

Hi Jamie

I have no idea as there are so many available now. mine is remsima bio similar by infusion every 6 weeks and 20mg mtx tablets.

during covid there were studdies posted on here that advised to stop methotrexate if you can cope without it as it will stop the covid jab working as they do opposite things. covid is to boost and mtx is to remove.

edit

found it. have a read https://community.versusarthritis.org/discussion/58499/vaccine-response-on-off-methotrexate-vroom-study

• jamieA
    Options

Hi @MrDJ

I see that remsima is the anti-TNF alpha biologic infliximab and does indeed affect the efficacy of the covid vaccine. That's odd considering adalimumab (also an anti-TNF alpha biologic) doesn't.

Yes I was the originator of the post you've linked to. I'm due my covid/flu vaccine next Tuesday and I'll miss my MTX for the following two Thursdays. My biologic is due this Thursday and so it'll be 9 days after my vaccine before I'll take it again.

• MrDJ
    Options

missed my second meth yesterday to give the jab its best chance.

meth next saturday then infusion on 1/11

not feeling any more pains by not taking them but i think 2 weeks will be the max without them.