High cholesterol and RA

Options

I've just been put on Lipidor for high cholesterol of 8 in recent blood test. Diagnosed with RA last year and taking Sulfalazine.

Am awaiting appointment to see if it's due to the genetic type.

Having googled, I've seen that RA can sometimes lead to high cholesterol and Lipitor can help with RA symptoms as well as high cholesterol.

Is this true?

Comments

• helpline_team
    Options

Hi @Jane68 thank you for posting on the Online Community and for your questions about RA, cholesterol and medication. I am sorry to hear about your diagnosis of Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA) and I hope that Sulfasalazine is making a difference.

It sounds as if it may be good to talk things through further with your rheumatology nurse and GP or pharmacist. It would be nice to think that Lipidor could help with your RA symptoms as well as lowering cholesterol. Unfortunately, we do not have any information about this.

If you would like to have more replies to your post, you are welcome to repost on our Living with Arthritis forum which is another source of support to ask questions and share experiences with others facing similar challenges.

I hope the information given below will be of some help. 

If you would like to talk things through informally and in confidence about managing your arthritis, you are welcome to call our Free Helpline on 0800 5200 520 9am -6pm weekdays.

Best wishes,

Fiona, Helpline Advisor 

• jamieA
    jamieA Member Posts: 723
    Options

Hi @Jane68

I posted on a similar theme a couple of weeks ago regarding psoriatic arthritis and high cholesterol. I was mainly researching whether PsA caused it as I've not been flagged with high cholesterol before but it appears that inflammatory arthritis and high cholesterol is not uncommon and is to do with high levels of triglycerides and abnormal lipids in the blood. My son in law has gout and high cholesterol.