Trapeziectomy

Options
Sorehand
Sorehand Member Posts: 3
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:11 in Living with arthritis

One month in and boy oh boy does it hurt,had right thumb done,left one next(or may be not) i am 64 full of arthritis i also have other health issues. I am a mechanical tech,and work with my hands.i am thinking this is now time to retire enough is enough!!

Comments

• Poppyjane
    Poppyjane Moderator Posts: 758
    edited 29. Sep 2023, 13:15
    Options

Hello @Sorehand welcome to the online community

You had a trapeziectomy one month ago and are considering surgery on your other hand in the future. I sense a question mark, presumably related to the pain and recovery of your first hand which is very understandable.

You are also wondering if at 64 you should consider retiring, that brings with it all sorts of questions to consider. There are lots of discussions from our members on this topic and I hope you find their comments helpful meanwhile I attach some links which I hope you will find useful.

Trapeziectomy information factsheet (versusarthritis.org)

https://community.versusarthritis.org/discussion/60613/ill-health-retirement

I hope the pain from your operation eases soon, do let us know how you get on.

Best wishes

Poppyjane

If it would be helpful to talk to someone ring the Helpline 0800 5200 520

Monday - Friday 9.00a.m. - 6.00p.m.

• Trish9556
    Trish9556 Member Posts: 525
    Options

Hi @Sorehand

I had a trapeziectomy on my left hand in 2020 when I was 64 and returned to work as a PA using a keyboard for 2 1/2 years until I retired last year at 66. I was back at work within 4 weeks.

Sometimes we are better off staying in work as long as we are able to. I'm glad I stuck with it until I got my state pension and at that point I was ready to hang up my keyboard.

Trish