THR surgery confirmed but would love some practical advice ahead of time please

Options
Jojo72
Jojo72 Member Posts: 31
edited 15. Oct 2023, 08:11 in Living with arthritis

Hi all, I hope you're all keeping well and as pain free and mobile as possible.

I've got my date for my hip replacement surgery (6 Nov) and am very lucky to be having it done privately through a healthcare scheme at work.

Saying I'm lucky to be going private is in no way a criticism of the NHS by the way, I think they do an amazing job, I just consider myself lucky that I've been able to book the surgery in and that hopefully it will go ahead as planned.

However, this does mean, that I don’t get a home visit to assess what adjustments I may need to make for when I'm discharged. So I was hoping that you guys could offer some advice as to what I may need to do, borrow or buy to get my home prepped. And also, where I can get the items required.

I've got a grabber and a sock-aid but that's all and I'm sure I read somewhere that I'd need to make adjustments to the loo, bed and chair heights etc.

So I'd be really grateful for any advice.

Also any advice (especially from the ladies) as to what I'll need to pack for hospital would be really appreciated.

Thank you,

extremely terrified Jo xx

Comments

• Louisa77
    Louisa77 Administrator Posts: 252
    edited 15. Oct 2023, 08:23
    Options

Need more help? Call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• MrDJ
    MrDJ Member Posts: 285
    Options

good luck with the surgery. best operation i ever had and that was back in 1996 so a few years ago and its still going strong. sadly feels like the other hip is finally on its way now.

Through the NHS yes i had a occupational therapist that visited and was great. as your going private i guess you could also book a OT privately. gp may be able to advise on that.

What i had and still use.

Only had banister up the stairs on one side so they fitted a hand rail up the other side with grab handle at the top.

raised toilet seat which raises it about 5 inches but as i used to be 6ft 3inch (now 6.1 thanks arthur) it was too low for me. you need to sit on bog and check the angle of your leg. if your knee is higher than your hip then it needs to be raised.

3 grab handles around the bath and a bath seat.

long handle grabber, back scrubber, toe scrubber, 15inch shoe horn.

and finally 4 raised legs for my armchair.

I cant post links as last time they were removed as advertising but just search disability shops and you should find some online.

• RogerBill
    RogerBill Member Posts: 223
    Options

Hi @Jojo72 try not to be scared it's a very well tried and tested routine procedure that has been progressively improved over many years and which has a very high success rate. Preparation before the op and carefully following the advice and rules after the op are important and should help put your mind at rest.

I had my hip replaced two years ago. This thread contains a lot of relevant tips from myself and others: https://community.versusarthritis.org/discussion/55224/hip-replacement-tips/p1

• Jojo72
    Options

Thanks MrDJ, great to hear that your hip is still going strong but sorry that your other is on its way now.

Thanks so much for all the information, it's really useful. I've started making a list.

The Consultant has assured me that this will give me a new lease of life and from what you've said, sounds like you'd agree, which is fab.

Thanks again, really appreciate you taking the time to reply.

• Jojo72
    Options

Hi @RogerBill

Thanks so much for your reply, I'm really interested to read through your thread.

I'm mostly terrified because of not having a General Anaesthetic - having a spinal block and sedation instead. I really don't want to wake up, even for a minute.

I'm hoping that once that's over with I'll be more excited about the outcome. I understand that recovery can be long and not always plain sailing but at least then I think I'll be able to concentrate on the light at the end of the tunnel.

Off to finish reading your thread, looks like there's a ton of useful information so thanks again.

• pmas
    pmas Member Posts: 43
    Options

@Jojo72 congratulations on your surgery date! Discuss your worries about spinal and sedation at your pre-op appointment. I had similar worries when I had both hips replaced last year (eleven weeks apart) but was so pleased not to have had general anaesthetic which takes a while to get out of your system. The anaesthetist will talk to you before the op - let him know you don’t want to wake up and he/she will take good care of you. Not long now x

• Janlyn
    Janlyn Member Posts: 389
    Options

@Jojo72 good to hear you have a surgery date, I’m just ahead of you at 30 October. On the one hand I’m terrified and on the other it can’t come soon enough.

I was a little relieved and surprised at my pre-op to be told that they really favoured getting back to normal asap. I was told they don’t recommend raised toilet seats now and don’t even insist on back-sleeping although she did say I probably would as anything else would be uncomfortable. She said that much of the previous advice was superseded due to the current method of surgery being more to the back of the hip and leading to much fewer dislocations. I admit that’s one of my biggest fears.

I was told to keep plenty of pillows/cushions around for support but that my normal chairs should be good enough which was a surprise.

I’m currently trying to put equipment/food I use regularly at convenient levels in the kitchen. I’ve got an extension lead for my bedroom as all my sockets are low down so I’ll be able to plug my phone charger and hairdryer in. Not sure I’ll be able to wash my hair but I’ll cross that bridge later! I was told although I’d have a waterproof dressing it would be strip washes only for a fortnight which I’m not looking forward to.

Wishing you all the very best, Janet

• frogmella
    frogmella Member Posts: 1,111
    Options

My left hip is being replaced on the 7th so I’m a day behind jojo72. I had my pre op appointment with the physio yesterday (on the phone). She also said my normal chairs etc will be fine as I’m young (if you think 47 is young) enough to be able to push myself out. She also said I’d be able to sleep on my side with pillows between legs. To be honest after three spine surgeries I got quite good at adapting to whatever position!

My question is about the toilet seat though. She did suggest a raised one and the physio cure guide posted in the thread above by rogerbill also suggests one because it makes life easier. So I’m getting one but just wanted to check if those of you that had one recommended the ones on a frame or just the seat part?

I’ll also just chip in with advice learnt from my previous surgeries. I got a big old infection after my first spinal fusion. (The complications lasted about 18 months as it went deep onto the metal). Mainly I think I had a rubbish surgeon so no prophylactic antibiotics but also I was encouraged to shower almost immediately. My dressing was already loose (like I said poor surgeon) and it came off. I think that’s how I got infected. Anyway my final fusion was with a much better surgeon. He was very strict about no shower until wound healed. His dressing also stayed put! Also prophylactic antibiotics. That time no infection. So long story short two weeks of strip washing is so much better than a deep infection. Plus the shower once you are allowed it feels so good! 😀

Good luck all.

• Jojo72
    Options

Thank you pmas. I've had my pre-op now and told them my worries and they helped make me feel a little bit better. I've got a physio appointment tomorrow where they go through what to expect once I get home etc, so hopefully I'll feel better again after that. I'll definitely speak to the anaesthetist though to say I definitely don't want to wake up. Thank you x

• Jojo72
    Options

Hi @Janlyn sorry I didn't see your reply until after your op date. I hope all went well with the surgery and that your recovery is as quick and easy as possible. I'm the same as you were...terrified but also can't come soon enough. Please give us an update as to how you're getting on. Take care, Jo x

• Jojo72
    Options

Hi @frogmella, thanks for your reply. How are you feeling now that surgery is just around the corner? I keep getting told I'm young for a hip op too (at 51 yrs it's nice to be considered young for something!) Ha ha!

I've got a physio appointment tomorrow to go through what I will need etc for discharge. I've already ordered a few bits online though and borrowed an arm chair from a friend who bought it specifically following her hip replacement. I'll let you know if they give any advice re the loo seat/frame. Best of luck, Jo x

• Janlyn
    Options

Thank you, Jo, unfortunately my op was postponed as my blood levels showed me to be borderline anaemic. The anaesthetist said it would be safer and my recovery better if I delayed and took iron supplements. They’ve given me a provisional date of 16 December which seems such a long way off. I have asked for a cancellation if possible if my bloods are okay before that.

Not long for you now, I hope you’re ready and all goes well, please keep us updated.

Take care, Janet x

• frogmella
    Options

Hi @Jojo72 . I bought one on a frame in the end. I thought it better to be over prepared than under!

I am nervous having had a bad surgical experience before but I guess I learnt from that so I’m doing everything I can to make this a good one! I’ll be honest I’m not looking forward to the immediate aftermath as I tend to throw up, let’s hope this time they sort that out!

good luck on Monday. Hope we can compare notes afterwards!

• swimmer60
    swimmer60 Member Posts: 202
    Options

I've been reading comments from people who had the op a few years ago. Just thought I'd comment on the incredible advances in HRS over the past few years. The outcome is now nothing short of miraculous, from my experience obviously. Two years of awful pain, now 3 weeks 1 day on, I am virtually pain free.

I too was very anxious about the op, had a spinal and a sedative and it was fine. Think I'm in love with the anaestetist! And the surgeon obviously!

Also struck by the different advice being given. Apparently my surgeon's is " Leave your feer alone!" But the physio said advice is very dependant on your surgeon. Also physio said I could try sleeping on my non operated with a pillow between my knees. Tried it last night and it felt so wrong! Back to my back!

Good luck everyone.

• Jojo72
    Options

Oh no, I'm sorry to hear that Janet, when you're all geared up for it, it must be a horrible blow. I hope your bloods improve and you manage to get a cancellation. Thank you, I will do. Take care, Jo x

• Jojo72
    Options

Thanks @frogmella, I'm very nervous but hoping I'll be ok once I get there. My bag is packed ready and I've been for my last typing bloods today so all set for admission at 7am Monday. Best of luck for Tuesday. Would be great to compare notes afterwards. Take care, Jo x

• Jojo72
    Options

Hi @swimmer60 thank you. I'm pleased to hear that you had a really positive experience and are already feeling the benefits. I've heard from a few people now that it can be completely life changing, sounds like it will be for you too. How long were you in hospital for? Last time I spoke to my physio she said that they usually say 2 nights but actually some go home the next day. I'm keeping everything crossed that we all have speedy recoveries. Take care, Jo x

• Janlyn
    Options

Wishing you the very best of luck for Monday @Jojo72 not long now and hoping it will be life changing for you, and for you too on Tuesday @frogmella

• swimmer60
    Options

Just an overnight stay, then into the care of my lovely daughter. Good luck!

• Jojo72
    Options

Well surgery went ahead as planned on Monday and I was discharged yesterday teatime. The thing I'd been worrying about most was the spinal / sedation combo but it was brill. One minute I was having my spinal and the next I was waking up. Can't remember a thing in-between. Got a decent night's sleep the first night, woke up every couple of hours but got back off again quickly. Slept for 10 hours last night but with many loo trips due to all the fluid I've been drinking.

Thank you for all your well wishes and support, really appreciate it.

How are you @frogmella?? Hope all went well. x

• Janlyn
    Options

@Jojo72 that’s wonderful news, well done, and thanks for letting us know, take care and keep in touch, Janet x

• swimmer60
    Options

Brilliant. Take care.

• frogmella
    Options

Hey! I’m doing ok thank you! I wasn’t allowed the spinal due to my previous spinal fusions so that decision was removed. Surgery went ok and I get to go home today. I was a bit slow out of the blocks but I actually think I’m in less pain already! I’ll let you know if my 1.5 hour car ride home changes that!

glad you’re doing so well too! Onwards and upwards!

• corinneyvonne
    Options

Hi Jo

I am a little late to the party but glad the surgery went well. I am not having my surgery until March as have to wait for steroids to wear off.

Good luck with your recovery and remember to be kind to yourself. #hipwarrior

• Anna
    Anna Moderator Posts: 983
    Options

Hi @corinneyvonne and a quick welcome to the online community. It’s good to see you offering support and encouragement for other members - that’s what we’re all here to do. Good luck with your surgery - Here’s some information you might find useful about how to prepare:

Do keep in touch and let us know how you’re getting on.

Anna ( Moderator)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm