THR surgery confirmed but would love some practical advice ahead of time please

Comments

• Jojo72
    Jojo72 Member Posts: 31

Hi both

@frogmella Sounds like you're doing great with your physio and self challenges. Keep up the good work!

@swimmer60 My friend had a similar issue with a suture (hers was for a knee replacement though) she kept an eye on it and all has been ok since. I'll keep my fingers crossed that yours is the same.

I'm getting quite restless now so am hoping I can get out and about a bit more next week (although not too much as my operated leg resembles an elephant leg by the end of the day if I do too much).

• frogmella
    frogmella Member Posts: 1,111

@swimmer60 oh no the suture thing is a nuisance, I bet that’s delayed your return to the pool. Fingers firmly crossed that it resolves soon.

As to my recovery I think I started from a good place to be honest. I kept up my walking until the day before the operation doing good distances each day. I also swam on weekdays covering quite a good distance and I made myself do quite a bit of kick. It’s only post op that I now realise how much pain I was actually in!

@Jojo72 I hope you are able to venture out a bit this week. The leg swelling sounds annoying. I hope it settles for you soon.

My friend is going to take me to town on Tuesday. It’s my idea but I’m a bit worried because our town is quite up and down. Maybe I’ll just have to see how I go!

My steps are going up with no ill effects as far as I can tell, 5500 yesterday and no painkillers! Today I’m getting a second hand exercise bike (£30 bargain) so I can at least try to halt the muscle loss in both my legs. I know I’ll be able to build back up but I’d rather try to stop the decline now. I’ve been reading different hospitals guidance online and easy exercise bike seems to come up a lot so I’m going to give it a go. Might at least break the monotony!

Anyway keep getting better!

• swimmer60
    swimmer60 Member Posts: 202

@frogmella

The first time I went into my local Asda it was horrid! Far too many shoppers and staff unloading, and the trolley had a mind of its own!

Have made myself go back and it has got better.

• Very interested in the comments made on this tread. They are very useful. I went for an assessment today with my surgeon and X-rays etc. I’ve been in pain for many years. The outcome is that my left hip is totally gone, my left knee is totally gone, my right knee has deteriorated considerably and my right hip as well. The surgeon reckons I’m falling apart. He is going to tackle the left hip first with a potential operation in February 2024. What follows ie further operations depends on the results of the first one. You can imagine we are excited and apprehensive at the same time. If I have questions I hope that I will be able to ask them here.

• Jojo72
    edited 2. Dec 2023, 11:07

Hi @Gorseinonboy

Gosh that's a lot of information for you to take in but great that you have a plan in place, for the first surgery at least.

Yes of course, ask away, there are lots of people on here who have way more experience than me and are really helpful, so between us we can try our best to help.

I had physio earlier this week and am basically having to re-learn how to walk properly to avoid a limp. I'm 'guarding' my (now) new hip and physio said I've been subconsciously been doing it for so long due to pain pre-op, that my muscles/tendons/ligaments etc have all tightened up. So I have some exercises and a new walking technique to do. And it's hard work .... she did warn me that I may have to deal with some discomfort in order to get where I want to be. It's nowhere near as painful as pre-op but my knees, thighs, bum and back are all wondering what's going on! I can see improvements in my gait already though so it's well worth a bit of discomfort!

How's everyone else getting on? @frogmella, @swimmer60

Hopefully not long for you now @Janlyn, how are you feeling?

Take care everyone x

• Janlyn
    Janlyn Member Posts: 493

Hi @Gorseinonboy welcome and I can understand you being excited and apprehensive. It's good you hopefully haven't too long to wait for your first operation and hopefully then a plan put in place for further treatment. I have found it really useful to read posts on here and get tips from people who have been where I am hopefully going. My surgery for my left hip replacement is due on 16 December but it's dependent on my haemoglobin levels rising. So fingers crossed🤞 Best luck for a date not too far ahead for you and ask away with questions.

@Jojo72 thank you for asking - I've just been thinking if all goes well two weeks today I will be back in recovery. I had another blood test a couple of weeks ago and was disappointed my level had risen but only slightly, and certainly nowhere near the level the anaesthetist had mentioned. My GP suggested I talk to my consultant and when I called his secretary she was more optimistic. She said I had just gone over the lower level that is considered safe to operate so the surgeon would be happy but she couldn't guarantee the anaesthetist would, but thought he most likely would be. I have another blood test on Monday so I'm hoping to get the chance to ask some questions.

I hope your improvements with your gait continue to improve without too much discomfort. I imagine I will be in a similar position. I'm finding it more and more difficult to exercise or even walk properly but fortunately I am finding I'm in slightly less pain from not overdoing the walking/exercise. My sleep is ever so slightly better and my tingling legs not usually too bad now - I am wondering if my slightly raised haemoglobin level has made that difference. I know I am protecting my dodgy hip and everything on my left leg side is really tight even though I try to relax. I just can't imagine getting any flexibility back, but finding myself more hopeful after reading your post, thank you, xx

• frogmella

Hi @Jojo72 . It’s good that your limp is being addressed now. At least it gives you something to focus on.

I am still doing well but I’ve been stuck indoors since Wednesday because it snowed up here and it’s iced over. It’s not worth the risk of dislocation just to go for a walk. It’s forecast to rain tonight though so I’m thinking I'll be free tomorrow. I’m planning a small gentle swim tomorrow. I miss the pool. My wound is healed and the surgeon did say I could go once healed on the outside. I’m guessing I’ll not do much but I’m really looking forward to it!

Im not using my crutch in the house at all now and I got rid of my raised toilet seat last week too! I’ll keep the stick for outdoor and the poolside for now, especially the poolside!

I have managed to lie on the operated side for short periods this week but it’s still not that comfortable. But lying on the other side is feeling much better now so I’m sleeping better.

Hoping you all have a good few days. I’ll let you know how swimming goes!

• Janlyn

Hi @frogmella I'm amazed to hear you're able to go swimming so soon - fantastic!

And also managing to sleep on your side and to sleep better - you've really given me hope, thank you 😊

• swimmer60

@Jojo72

Hi there! Saw my consultant today, that's a 7 week check. He was very pleased with my progress, walked in without a crutch, was determined! I went swimming four times last week and he was very pleased about that, can now go to the gym, avoiding the rowing machine! However, no cutting toenails till 3 months, he was incredibly adamant about that! Said he'd seen people put their feet on the edge of the bath in order to cut their toe nails and.....tragedy and awful pain. Putting on socks seemed to need contortions, as did getting onto the floor, so I'll avoid those for the time being. I think since I'm feeling so much better, I need to be cautious about what I do. Am seeing physio Friday so can ask more questions.

Thought I'd mention restless legs, seems to be a thing with HRS, it's been awful and I am now taking a magnesiun supplement which seems to be helping.

• Janlyn

@swimmer60 Swimming four times in a week at 7 weeks sounds incredible to me, and makes me hopeful for my op. I had been thinking about toe nails so you've made me determined to get mine sorted before surgery so I may not need to worry for a while. I've told my neighbours I might be putting them on a rota to get my socks on but I don't want to ask them to cut my toe nails!

I've struggled to get up from the floor a couple of times recently so can agree any such contortions are best avoided! Hoping you get some answers/help from your physio appointment - maybe worth mentioning your restless legs?

• frogmella

Hey @swimmer60 4 times last week is fab! Pre op I was an every weekday girl so I’m intending to get back to that in January. I did my first one today and it was great. I took it easy, obviously no tumble turns and I didn’t even think about breaststroke yet, but I did 1km. That’s not a lot for me but I thought about having to dress afterwards etc so got out feeling good! Putting my swimsuit on I could tell I’ve put on some timber with the inactivity so I’ll need to shift that in the new year. And my muscle wasting on my bad leg is not great. I’d say it’s over 1cm smaller than my good leg. I hope a return to the gym will sort that out!

Pre op my surgeon had said I’d be allowed back in the gym at 3 months. I guess if I have to wait that long I will but it’d be good to get a bit of resistance work in to help with that muscle loss. I suppose I can keep on with the exercise bike and walking etc in the meantime.

Socks are still difficult and laces impossible so I’m lucky to have had help with those. I did see sock helpers on Amazon. @Janlyn you might be grateful for one of those; especially with the joyous surgical stockings too! I’ve had to let my husband trim my toenails too, although I didn’t totally trust him! I was also grateful for my toilet seat riser with frame which I only got rid of (to the garage) last week. It was the arms I found most useful. And my long handle shoe horn/hook combo has been great for getting lower body clothing on and off. And of course the grabber for retrieval of dropped items!

Im still doing well and I keep waiting for the promised bad day. Fingers crossed I’ve not had one yet.

• Janlyn

Thank you, @frogmella and well done on your swim. I get what you say about limiting your swimming to enable time/effort to get dressed again. I find that's my daily life now - always thinking ahead to not overdo any activity I still can do. I admit to being worried about muscle wastage - but good you're thinking about what you can do, rather than what you might not be able to do. You're inspiring me.

I did buy a sock helper recently and it's been a fantastic, I can even put tights on. I'll have to wait and see post-op if it's easier or harder. It's certainly painful now so I really don't know which way that one will go. If I have to go with bare feet, so be it. I have some slip on shoes and slippers. I'm thinking if I get stuck with my toenails I'll treat myself to a pedicure! I'm looking forward to getting a grabber, I've already got a long handled shoe horn and am thinking a shoe lace would be good for pulling my boot zips up, if I thread it through the zip pull before I put my boots on.

I have been told by my physio that they don't issue raised toilet seats now and don't recommend them which initially seemed strange. I'm not tall so maybe I'll be okay - I do have a radiator and rail close by to hang on to. I'll just have to remember to keep a towel on the radiator for when it's hot!

I hope you don't have a bad day - you've done so well so far!

• swimmer60

@frogmella

Doc said I could go to the gym on treadmill and upright cycle, not sure about cross trainer, will have to ask, but keep off the rowing machine. I use the diabled changing room at the pool and feel very exclusive, but it is so good to have a little table to put my body wash/shampoo on rather than trying to hold onto them. Swimming isn't entirely stress free as I worry about my hip getting kicked.

@Janlyn

Such varied advice! You get a raised loo seat as a matter of course here. Could you get your home assessed by the local occupational therapist via your GP?

The grabber I was issued with is very basic, you can't adjust its length so it makes it awkward to use.You can get ones that you can adjust on Amazon, not expensive. i also got given clunky crutches that seemed to belong in the fifties, but prior to my op I'd bought myself a very flashy one, it has a base that kind of swivels, again on Amazon. I don't need it now but I carry it .

• swimmer60

...carry it to ward off marauding dogs and give a wee signal to people when I'm in crowded places like Asda, or on narrow pavements. it's a bit of a security blanket TBH

• Janlyn

@swimmer60 I think I will get a grabber, then I can have one upstairs and one downstairs and not have to carry them about.

From seeming a long way off all of a sudden I'm nearly there, so long as nothing goes wrong. I'm due for my surgery on 16 December and I was told this morning the anaesthetist is happy to go ahead. I've been on iron tablets for the last few weeks to raise my haemoglobin to an acceptable level. Good idea about the raised toilet seat although I had thought if that is their policy then I will have got used to a non-raised seat before I come home.

Your crutch sounds like a good idea too. I've a selection of sticks I leave at the top and bottom of the stairs!

I can see what you mean about a security blanket - I occasionally nearly have a little panic attach when I think one day I might go out without my stick. It's become a good friend!

• swimmer60

@Janlyn

Keep us posted and fingers crossed your op goes ahead. It will transform your life.

• frogmella

Yes, good luck @Janlyn . The immediate aftermath isn’t that much fun but, in my experience it isn’t as bad as you expected. As far as the toilet seat goes I’d say it wasn’t the height I needed but the arms to get on/off and they also helped me manoeuvre in order to wipe properly. Hope that’s not too much information! I found wiggling on the loo seat probably the most uncomfortable thing of all! 🫢

I am just over 4 weeks out now and have no regrets. Let us know how it goes. X

• Denis68
    Denis68 Member Posts: 60

Hi all. This thread has been so helpful, really glad I found it. I have my op in 10 days 🤞🏻

Some really reassuring comments here, thanks to all.

I'm now about to Google sick helper 😁

• Janlyn

@swimmer60 Thank you - just another week to go now and I hardly dare hope it will change my life but so many people say it does that I'll try to believe it will.

@frogmella Haha not too much information - it's just the information I need to think about, and mainly I have been worrying about!

@Denis68 It's good you're finding this thread helpful. Fingers crossed for you, and for me too - mine will be next Saturday, all being well.

• Denis68
    Denis68 Member Posts: 60

@Janlyn hope all goes well with your operation 🤞🏻

• Janlyn

@Denis68 thank you, I appreciate your good wishes, I'm hoping this time next week I'll be over the worst and thinking about getting back home!

• I’ve found reading all the comments very reassuring. Thank you….

• Jojo72

Hi all

Hope everyone is keeping well.

@frogmella and @swimmer60 sounds like you're both doing brilliantly and it's great that you're both back in the pool!

I've got my 6 week review with the consultant on Tuesday. I'm still using a stick outdoors but not inside. Still working on my limp and trying to build strength.

I was on crutches for approx 4 months prior to surgery so wasn't very mobile at all, which has put me on the back foot in terms of building strength and stamina and in my recovery in general but I'm getting there ..... I can walk about 2 miles per day (I could barely walk 200 steps beforehand), I'm off pain meds, my leg now only swells occasionally, if I overdo things, and my physio is happy .... so it's all heading in the right direction.

@Janlyn best of luck for your surgery tomorrow, hope all goes well and you're back in your own bed in no time. Please let us know how you're doing.

It's absolutely true what they say about this surgery, it really is life changing. Just to be able to stand up and walk (however 'lurchy/limpy') without any pain is amazing!

• Jojo72

@Denis68 best of luck for your surgery next week too.

Please let us know how you're getting on.

• frogmella

@Jojo72 given where you started it sounds to me like you are doing fantastic! You are right, this operation does seem to be almost a miracle! I genuinely hadn’t realised how much pain I was in before. It’s only now I can see that before everything hurt. Sitting, lying, walking, standing and, finally and the worst of all for me, swimming even hurt. Now I can see a way forward in life without pain again and I’m really so happy!

good luck you two next week. I hope it’s as good for you as it’s been for us x