Weight Loss

Options

Hi,

Has anyone been successful in losing weight and has this reduced you osteoarthritis pain, in particular hips and knees?

Thanks

Anne

Tagged:

Comments

• Rina
    Rina Member Posts: 85
    Options

Hi @ALander, I’ve never been able to lose weight by dieting ( absolutely no willpower whatsoever!) but I find that if I keep moving I keep the weight off. I try to walk about two miles each day round my local park, sometimes briskly, sometimes just a gentle stroll. When I don’t do it for a few days, I do notice that I start to put on weight.

Rina 😊

• Rina
    Rina Member Posts: 85
    Options

I forgot to add that moving certainly helps with my arthritis pain, and I always feel better when I’ve been out for a walk.

• TiaElastica
    Options

I was very shocked to gain weight after years of no change. None of my clothes are comfortable but I am far too much of a cheapskate to buy new ones. It feels shameful (to me) to be carrying excess kilos just when I want to self-manage and not put any additional pressure on my joints. Losing it is proving more difficult than I expected. Two things are making it seem more challenging to reduce calories - the first is taking amitriptyline and the other is the winter dark and cold. I know about nutrition, calories, balanced diet, exercise, etc; but awareness is not stopping me from overeating. Writing about it helps, today is a new day and I will try again to eat what I need not what I want. Seasonal gatherings did make things worse - I cannot resist free food or leftovers in the January sale. Good luck to all of us wanting to lose the podge.

• Woofy
    Woofy Member Posts: 274
    Options

Hi. It’s blooming hard isn’t it. I sometimes comfort eat because of the pain, but I do try to snack on nuts fruit, and rice cakes.

I have always been very active, so this RA diagnosis has been hard. I still walk my elderly dog everyday even if the pain is bad. I am hoping that the hospital will get me on the right meds eventually, and I will be more able, and get back to long walks and other stuff.

• Hairobsessed123
    Options

For every pound u lose it equals to 4 pounds of pressure of your joints !!

so losing weight deffo helps x

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.