First Steroid Injection

Options

I'm recently diagnosed with OA, and getting a corticosteroid injection in my right hip tomorrow. I'm extremely nervous. My doctor thinks it will help with pain (I don't want to increase my pain meds). I've grown up with chronic disorders so I don't like medical interventions and prescriptions as much as homeopathic aids, but I also recognize their value. But I'm still afraid that something that seems so invasive could do more harm than good. My physiotherapist is opposed to steroid injections, and I've also read about the potential damage these injections can do if used too much. The mixed feedback isn't helping my nerves at all, lol. I would like some pain relief - even if it's just short term to allow me to work on my strength and mobility without as much discomfort.

Does anyone have any personal feedback (positive or negative) that can help me feel more prepared for this? And as an aside - I'm no longer on warfarin, but I do take Eliquis. The clinic wasn't concerned about the Eliquis, but it still makes me cautious. Has anyone had the shot while on Eliquis?

Comments

• Trish9556
    Trish9556 Member Posts: 525
    Options

Hi @ChelleFox

I've had injections into my shoulders, neck, hips and wrist over the years, they mostly don't do much at all for me. When I had my first shoulder surgery my surgeon told me not to have any more injections as they cause more damage as you don't feel it when you do something you shouldn't if you can't feel pain.

Subseqently had more because that's what the NHS says you have to have these days before you can go to the next stage.

I've just had the second into my hip and admittedly this one feels much different to any of the others I've had and might actually be doing some good. Saying that, this one hurt like "BLEEP" when I had it done and I felt like passing out. I did pass out with the first into my thumb and that was the only 'unguided' one I've ever had. I always insist on guided now.

I sometimes think steroid injections are a delaying tactic and on the whole I think they're a waste of time and money but we don't get a lot of choice if we want anything else treatment wise.

Good Luck!

Love n hugs

Trish xx

• Fran54
    Fran54 Member Posts: 189
    Options

Hi@ChelleFox

I had a steroid injection in my right knee approximately 6 weeks ago and to be honest it hasn't helped an awful lot. I was told that if I wanted surgery on my knee I would have to wait about 6 months as it can cause infection. I don't have my follow up appointment ( by telephone ) until the second week in December. Also my mobility has gradually deteriorated so I am now hoping that I will be able to have some form of surgery ( I dread to think how long the waiting list will be ) as I don't really want any more steroid injections.

I don't want to put you off having yours as everyone is different and you may be fine. I hope this helps.

Take careπŸ™‚

• ChelleFox
    ChelleFox Member Posts: 16
    Options

Thanks @Trish9556 and @Fran54 for your honest answers! This is all so new to me yet (and honestly, a little frightening) and it's frustrating not having anyone to talk to about it...no friends or family with arthritis of any kind! I appreciate the first hand accounts when all I have access to is data, doctors, and the internet.

• Fran54
    Options

Hi@ChelleFox

Just wanted to ask if you had your steroid injection today and how did it go?

I have found this site and the lovely people on here so helpful. If you have any questions you know that someone will come along and answer them for you.

Take care.πŸ™‚

• pastabites
    Options

How did it go?

I had one, when first diagnosed with wrist arthritis. My insurance covered it but was so expensive it went beyond my yearly premiu. It did nothing at all. It was unpleasant and I screamed in pain (sorry!), so I'd not consider it again

Hope your experience was / will be more positive!

• ChelleFox
    Options

The injection procedure went great - zero pain, zero pinching, didn't even notice it was done until it was finished, actually. The freezing even had a nice short term effect, lol. 24 hours later and I actually have reduced pain in my joint (not sure if it's residual from the freezing), and my surrounding muscle pain and stiffness have also eased considerably. Keeping my fingers crossed for the long term effects. Honestly, I don't want to use injections if I don't have to, though. Even if the results are dramatic, I'm concerned for the potential long term effects. But pain and immobility sucks a**, and if it helps then it will be hard to say no to it.

You are right...this community is amazing :). I'm so glad I found it.

• ChelleFox
    Options

OMG! I just got up from my desk and walked away! WALKED AWAY! It's been over a year since I've been able to sit for longer than 15 minutes without stiffening up and spending 2-3 minutes covertly "shaking it off" before taking my first step. I was in the hall before I realized. I know it's only been 27 hours, but what is this? Where is my pain? Why aren't I stiff? I can hear my joints crunching, so I know it's my hip, lol! Is the pain going to come back tomorrow? This is so weird....

• Fran54
    Options

Hi@ChelleFox

This is great news for you. Keeping fingers crossed for you that it continuesπŸ€žπŸ™‚

• beachbaby23
    Options

I am so happy for you, hopefully the pain wont come back for 6 months. I have arthritis in my spine, and I had injections, very painful and they didn't help me at all.

• swimmer60
    swimmer60 Member Posts: 202
    Options

@ChelleFox

How brilliant so pleased for you. Hope it lasts and lasts

@Trish9556

Sadly I'm with you on this one. My hip was far too gone for the injection to be much good. It gave pain relief for all of two minutes..

• Jojo72
    Jojo72 Member Posts: 31
    Options

Hi @ChelleFox

Glad the injection is a working for you. My first one lasted a good 10 months, I'll keep my fingers crossed that you have similar success with yours.

• stevedawson5
    Options

Really happy it's working for you. I had an injection in my knee for OA last Christmas. The next day, my wife couldn't believe it was me walking down the steps - she thought it was my 15 year old football loving son. Zero pain, felt great.

Unfortunatley for me, the next day I was back to square one. My consultant wasn't at all surprised ! Hope it continues to work well for you.

• ChelleFox
    Options

One thing I have learned this week - corticosteroids seem to help me a lot. BUT...I also still have OA, and I forgot that I still have to act like it. I overdid it big time on the weekend (Christmas shopping alone - miles and miles on concrete and hauling a car load of gifts in and out of the house. Then, I sat on the floor for about 20 minutes like an idiot to wrap a bunch of them. I think I now know what a flare up is lol. I've had OA for awhile so the pain isn't new to me, but the diagnosis IS new, and learning about it is still a curve for me.

• Fran54
    Options

Hi@ChelleFox

when I had my steroid injection I was advised to not exercise or over exert myself for 10-14 days. I could do light housework but not to stand for too long when doing these jobs. Also told no cutting the grass! My hubby was very good in helping out and for once I did not feel guilty when not doing much! Yes it is so easy to forget and overdo it of which I am guilty of doing sometimes and I still find it difficult to pace myself and not overdo things. I hope that you will start to feel better soon.

Take careπŸ™‚

• Trish9556
    Trish9556 Member Posts: 525
    Options

Hi @ChelleFox

I'm sorry you're suffering after your shopping trip - take it easy for the rest of the week with some paracetamol and hopefully it will ease up.

Trish xx