Options
blackcatlover
blackcatlover Member Posts: 5
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:11 in Living with arthritis

Hi everyone. I am just joining this community as a nice, safe space to help with my RA. (I sometimes feel uneasy just saying RA, as I’m not used to saying how I feel, especially if I’m unwell!) I feel that a lot of people just don’t know how disabling Arthritis and Rheumatoid Arthritis can be. I’m having a flare up this week and can only deal with it by resting in bed, but after 1 day I feel guilty, even though I don’t feel any better, as if I should be doing housework and making my husband’s tea! Does anyone else feel like this?

Comments

• Poppyjane
    Poppyjane Moderator Posts: 763
    Options

Hello @blackcatlover welcome to the online community

Welcome to the safe place to talk about your RA. We are glad you feel able to talk here about your feelings because it is difficult to explain how RA affects us to family and friends. Numbers of people say they feel guilty about resting or having a quiet day but it is necessary to redress the balance both physically and mentally when we suffer from the fatigue that goes with the condition.

I attach some links which I hope you will find helpful

https://www.versusarthritis.org/news/2021/august/the-boom-and-bust-cycle-and-fatigue-your-questions-answered/

There are lots of discussions about fatigue and flares so do look round the community and we look forward to hearing from you again soon.

Take care

Poppyjane

If it would be helpful to talk to someone ring the Helpline 0800 5200 520

Monday - Friday 9.00a.m. - 6.00p.m.

• blackcatlover
    Options

Thank you poppyjane for your kind words and support x

• Woofy
    Woofy Member Posts: 274
    Options

Hello 🙂

I have RA. And strangely enough been in a bit of an amber/ red phase this week. I gauge my flare ups like traffic lights lol.

it is hard for other people to understand the pain that comes with Arthritis. I didn’t have a clue until I got it.

do what you can when you can. It’s taken me best part of a year to learn about pacing myself. I have made a lot of changes.

when I’m able I batch cook stuff, so there is always something in the freezer for dinner. Getting an air fryer was a game changer fo me too.

• blackcatlover
    Options

Thanks Woofy. I’ve had RA for over 20 years and it’s only since I retired that it’s become harder to deal with. I still find it frustrating that I can’t do as much as I used to do though that’s probably me being impatient!