THR my new life as a bionic person

Options

Comments

• Nurina
    Nurina Member Posts: 298
    Options

Just a little update I'd like to share with you.

When I had my surgery, @Janlyn was in her 4th week, like I am now. I remember reading her post about walking 7000 steps and I said I can't imagine not even in my dream I could walk that distance. But I did it! I've been walking 7500 steps today. How crazy is that! 🤪 . I've listened to my body and to my non-operated leg and I've used both crutches for a little support to both legs. That has given more stability to my wobbly gait and I was very comfortable walking. I've come back home with a reasonable muscular ache, not like yesterday. I'm so happy!

How was your Sunday? X

• Janlyn
    Janlyn Member Posts: 389
    Options

How wonderful, well done @Nurina 😊

And you're also bossing the steps - so quickly from your early days when you had to stay upstairs for two days! It's a miracle isn't it?

I'm jealous of you sleeping through the night too, I've never been able to do that and am grateful now that I'm getting a reasonable amount of sleep - in bits - Fitbit congratulated me last night on my best night post-op yet!

It's so wonderful to see how far you've come in four weeks - here's to the next four weeks!

• Nurina
    Options

Day 32

Thanks @Janlyn@Janlyn ! I don't have sleeps through the nights every day. Yesterday, I woke up four times.

I went to visit my physio today.

He said he is quite pleased with my improvement. After watching me walking forwards and backwards, he noticed I have to work on my hip abductors because they are very weak after all the years I've been disabled. Also he said the backache is expected in the first three months so nothing to worry about. That's because of my hip has moved to another position and my body doesn't like it.

He gave me new really OUCHY exercises to stretch the thighs and hip muscles. More bands, lunges and bridges. I told him, very proud, about my 7500 steps and, surprisingly, he told me off!. He said I shouldn't push the walk when a bone is healing because it doesn't help to my improvement and I'll only get a pointless soreness. I only have to do the stretching and strength exercises until the GZ is healed. Ok, Jeez

He said too, I can now lie on my operated leg side to massage the tissue layers and remove adhesions but I can't sleep on it until I had the permission of my consultant, next week. He said I will notice discomfort and a weird feeling but they are totally normal. He has moved my leg around and he said a dislocation is very unlikely at this stage.

Very rainy and cold day here but I wish you a nice Tuesday!. X

• Janlyn
    Options

@Nurina Your physio's advice is interesting and so similar to my experience today with my chiropractor. I've to work on my hip abductors too and he said it would take some time, as they'd spent so long compensating and getting into the state they're now in. I've got new stretches and exercises to do too, with the advice that I must aim high to get back to how I was at my peak and not settle for anything less. This will take time but I can do it, apparently!

I was told not to walk so far at at time too but to take regular rests. He said that the soreness I get is from limping and using my old bad habits to get about once I've walked far enough.

Good to hear you can lie on your operated side and that all makes sense. I found that's all I did once I was allowed anyway. I've realised for me it's the keeping in one place that makes it difficult and uncomfortable to sleep and so I found to lie on my side for a few minutes just for a change was enough. And remember your physio said that during surgery your surgeon will have moved your leg in all directions so you would be very unlucky to dislocate.

Been fairly dry and sunny(ish) here today, x

• Nurina
    Options

@Janlyn My physio said that it's very important to recover all muscles around the hips before trying more activities. He said that my backache, my abductor stiffness and my foot outwards come from the same group of weakened muscles.

I tried to lie on my side for a couple of minutes and it's a sweet and sour feeling. It's nice and uncomfortable. X

• Janlyn
    Options

@Nurina That's about what my chiropractor was saying - he made the point that we've been a long time compensating and finding workarounds just to do what we need to do. Our muscles have either been over or under-used and now we have to get the balance right. Any extra walking, in his view, leads to soreness/bad habits so I think it's back to concentrating on exercise for me at the probable annoyance of my Fitbit! Interesting your foot points outwards but mine inwards.

I remember the sweet and sour feeling - it does get more normal and comfortable with time and confidence, x

• Nurina
    Options

Day 33

Who said the recovery is a roller-coaster? The Alton Tower's roller coaster is a walk in the park compared to this 😂

I'm so frustrated today, sorry. Allow me to talk about it, please. The new exercises my physio gave me yesterday are very painful. He said the backache would feel like the old one but for different reasons. Before surgery, my back had to compensate the old hip and now it has to learn how to use the new one. The muscles from the thighs to the lower back and the whole bum are very sore, more than ever and this is so frustrating. A lot!.

Please, let me know about your experience in changing bad habits during the recovery. I need a litte bit of reassurance. Thanks x

• Janlyn
    Options

@Nurina Oh I do sympathise. I think I try to focus on the good days and try to ignore the fed-up feelings/slow progress days but it's not always easy. I'm so grateful for what I can do and how far I've come but it's not without effort is it? I see it as positive that your new exercises are painful, but poor you. Each time I've found an exercise painful it has turned into one that has done the most good, and does get easier. I have found to take it easy the day after new exercises if I feel sore though and let it all recover first.

I think your physio is saying what my chiropractor was telling me yesterday. It's that compensating in the old days that is making it harder now - we slip into old habits or we continue doing things the way we have become used to. I didn't really understand at two weeks but my physio told me then that from then until six to eight weeks most people got frustrated as their progress slowed down and it would be a long haul.

Maybe we should be kinder to ourselves x

• Nurina
    Options

Day 34,

I had to take paracetamol last night to cope with the soreness and the intermittent shooting pain from my hip. I was really worried but when I woke up, I was barely limping! I can walk straight without the wobbly gait. I did some little jumps and no pain. I'm so happy!. That's the reassurance I needed. I have to keep going with the strength exercises, even they are very hard because they are exactly what I need. I'll take it easy today @Janlyn thanks for your advice.

Another great news: I ended taking the blood thinners . Yay! Another hurdle jumped. Next one is the 6th week visit to my consultant on Tuesday. I hope he finds everything in its place and he allows me to drive and to start working with the stiffness of the 90º to tie my shoes.

Have a happy Thursday. X

• Janlyn
    Options

@Nurina it's really good to read this - walking straight, no wobbly gait, no pain - no wonder you're happy. The hardest exercises do seem to be the most effective - you've earned an easy day.

It's great to be able stop taking the blood thinners too - all little steps towards normal. Good luck with your consultant visit next week - I'm sure you couldn't have imagined you would have got so far so quickly, even though at times progress seems slow.

Take care all, x

• Nurina
    Options

Day 35,

Thanks @Janlyn for all your help and positivity.

I'm on my 5th week after the surgery. The worst has passed, dislocation danger is gone and improvements aren't as spectacular as they were in the first weeks. Since I can lie on my operated side, my nights are "almost" normal. At the moment, when I lie on my side I feel like there is something uncomfortable under my thigh, like a wrinkled blanket or a pair of socks but it's just my wound that is bulky and tender. My physio said I don't need to put a pillow between my legs but I'm more comfortable using one.

Exercises are getting easier and my gait is almost gone. It's funny. The more sore I feel, the straighter I walk. Actually, it makes sense, doesn't it?

I think that, regardless of what my consultant may say on Tuesday, I'm now ready to start recovering my life that was stolen a year ago. I'd like not to think all the time about my hip and forget it's an artificial one. I'm coming back to my job from Monday. My studio is very close to my home so I can go walking. I've been this morning visiting my colleagues and they've found a beautiful vintage leather desk chair with armrests so I can be comfortable there. They say they miss me and we've felt emotional talking about it.

I'll tell you everything about the visit to my consultant on Tuesday.

Have a happy weekend. X

• swimmer60
    swimmer60 Member Posts: 202
    Options

@Nurina

How exciting and good luck🤞

• Janlyn
    Options

@Nurina this all sounds so positive. I describe that feeling of recovering your life and not constantly thinking about your hip as a little like passing your driving test. At first you have to think about everything and then suddenly you realise you are driving without that voice in your head telling you to change gear, brake, indicate, as it all comes so naturally.

Enjoy work and I'm looking forward to hearing what your consultant says on Tuesday.

Have a happy weekend, x

• Nurina
    Options

Day 40

6th week visit to my consultant and these are the things he's told me.

- At this stage he is only worried about too much swelling, too much pain, wound not healing well or bad mobility.

- He checked my wound and said it's very good and it isn't flat because I have some internal knots under the scar that will dissolve.

- He doesn't expect anybody pain free in 6th week and the back pain or the soreness when I get up are normal.

- About mobility, he didn't check it. I suppose that just watching at me walking through the door has been enough to see I was ok. Maybe he has some report from physiotherapist, I don't know.

- I don't need to use crutches at home but if I go walking, it's better to use crutches than walking with a limp. Anyway, I'm going to need crutches to protect my right leg until I get the surgery, probably in a year.

- I have to follow the restrictions until week 12, because many of the dislocations occur when we think we are ok and we start breaking the rules.

- I can sleep on my side with a pillow between my legs to avoid crossing my legs.

- He can't check if the bone is healing well until next visit in four months when I'll have x-rays.

- I can drive now.

And that's it. He said that, even it looks a little frustrating sometimes, from now I will feel better and better.

Have a nice Tuesday. X

• Janlyn
    Options

@Nurina How interesting. Good news that the internal knot under your scar will dissolve. Sounds a little like mine except my scar took such a long time to heal just at one end and I think mine came out rather than staying in and dissolving. I'm left with a little hollow but at least it is now properly healed, I think.

Interesting what he does check and I can imagine he could see all he needed to see regarding mobility by watching you walk. Remember it is still early days.

It's always a relief to hear that we shouldn't be pain free, it's just so good that we have so much less pain than previously.

Definitely better to use your crutches than walk with a limp and if they protect your other hip that's good too. I hope you don't have to wait another full year for the other hip doing.

Lots of positives there - side-sleeping and driving and not too long to wait for your next X-ray - I don't get mine until 12 months.

I think we do need to be patient as our progress slows down, but at least we are getting back to some kind of normal.

Take care, x

• Nurina
    Options

Hi @Janlyn I'm afraid patience is not one of my virtues😂. I feel very frustrated of not being able to do many things I wanted. My colleagues are going to Italy to visit a book fair and I feel so jealous. My husband is having holidays to visit his elderly parents, who live abroad, and I'll stay here. Apart from doing the exercises I have to do, I can't do much to speed up the process.

I'm ok sleeping on my sides, not as painful as I was expecting. It's a weird feeling, not a comfortable one. I'm sleeping but also thinking about keeping my pillow between my legs to avoid crossing them. I've seen on internet some foam contraptions to use between the legs but they looked like torture. My watch says my sleeping quality is improving I hope I'm less grumpy.

I haven't tried driving yet. I haven't driven my car since August because of the pain pushing the clutch. I have several meetings I have to go driving. That's is going to be another big milestone on my way to normality.

Thanks for taking your time to reply to me.

X

• JPT
    JPT Member Posts: 144
    Options

@Nurina patience isn't one of my strong points either! I think I will have to count to ten before I get frustrated about anything-might be a lot of counting! You seem to be doing really well. I am lucky that my car is an automatic and it is my left hip being done but it is a low sports car and I honestly dont know if I will be able to drive it again I hope you can get driving again soon as you will find it liberating again.

I hope you get some holidays planned for when you are up to it, even if you have to go on your own!

Julie x

• JPT
    JPT Member Posts: 144
    Options

• Janlyn
    Options

@Nurina I think I'm more resigned than patient 🤣Every day when my Fitbit asks how I am feeling, with a range of emotions to choose from, I answer 'neutral' as I don't seem to be capable of anything more specific😳

I think you will soon start to think about where you can go and when. I've a business trip next week and it will be my test as to whether I can, but I know I am in a better position than I was when I went to Switzerland last September so must just get on with it. It's knowing how much to push ourselves isn't it? Although boring I think you will be happy you've concentrated on exercises longer-term.

I bought one of the foam 'contraptions' and it was really helpful - not the one you strap to your leg, just the one that is shaped and it actually stayed in position really well. I had it pre-surgery and it was very comfortable and have actually used it under my neck and heels whilst on my back.

It's strange how good it feels when a watch tells us we've slept well and we're happy! I've had three 'good' in the past week and the rest 'fair'. Just out of surgery on my back it was always 'poor' or 'not recognised'. Progress 😊 although I am struggling against grumpiness. I think the world has decided I'm back to normal and people are constantly asking me to do things I'm not ready to do and I can no longer really say that I have recently had surgery. I still feel to be catching up on sleep.

Good luck with driving - I hope the clutch is easier than you think. Maybe just have a little test to see?

@JPT I was about to say don't worry about driving - automatic and left leg - but when I came to low sports car I can only say I hope you'll find it okay. If you can get in now and drive I can't see you having a problem. I was delighted to find it was easier to get in and out of my car than it had been in months. I hadn't realised how much pain I was in lifting and shuffling my bad leg in and out until afterwards when it was so much easier.

Take care, x

• Nurina
    Options

My car is a Fiat 500 and it's very easy to get in and out. I have a friend who has a three doors sport car and last time we went in her car (before my surgery), I had to be, literally pulled out from the back seat 😂 Like @Janlyn said, I had more difficulties getting in and out before than after.

I used the "Bag for Life" hack recommended here and it really works to slide on the seat. When my husband picked me up from the hospital, he had put a Welsh dragon Tesco bag on the seat. It was hilarious.

Do you know how long do we have to sleep with the pillow between the legs?

Take care x

• Janlyn
    Options

@Nurina @JPT When my son came to pick me up to take me home from hospital I asked him to bring a carrier bag and a selection of cushions. I can't actually remember needing either and think I hugged the cushions for the journey home. My son carried my bag and a nurse helped me into the car and that was it - home and back out with minimal assistance from my son.

My surgeon told me at six weeks to keep the pillow between my legs for another couple of weeks. I did find it brought a new kind of normal back to me to manage without it, although I often wonder whether I am moving about too much or crossing my legs in my sleep. I hope I don't live to regret saying I don't let it worry me much!

Take care, x

• Nurina
    Options

Day 45,

My husband's day off and we went to town walking. I brought the crutches with me just for a little support and confidence like the training wheels for a child learning to ride a bike. Isn't it amazing? We haven't gone to town for a year and I think he was happier than me. I'm still so worried about the ghost of the old pain coming back but it doesn't exist anymore, gone!. I've had to stop several times to stretch my calfs and quads but I could keep going.

Before the surgery, if I tried to walk, my pain was increasing until I felt like a sword stabbing me from the knee. There wasn't any stretch or anything I could do to alleviate it, not even painkillers.

We went to a Vietnamese restaurant to have a lunch and a tea room for a coffee and cake. On our way back, we took the long way, crossing the park to see the river. Bliss. We did 7km!

If you are frightened and waiting for your surgery I'd like to tell you I'd thought I would never be able to do this again and here I am! Just hang on a little longer and you will be able to cross the park again.

Have a nice weekend. Take care x

• Janlyn
    Options

@Nurina so good to read this - and twice! But seriously it's the things that we used to do but stopped due to pain that are so delightful to get back to - and we appreciate them so much. 7km well done! x

• Nurina
    Options

Day 50

I'm not going to lie, because we are here to tell our real experiences good and bad. Telling everyone that at week 7 everything is amazing and painless and I'm preparing a triathlon is not true. If you want to hear from overachievers, you can go to YouTube 😂

I got up very sore. My legs, lower back and glutes are in pain. I couldn't sleep well. I should have had a paracetamol but I forgot it. I don't know why I feel this pain and frustration after feeling almost painless few weeks ago. I'm going to my physiotherapist now.

----------

I've just came back from my physio. First time driving my car on my own and it was hailing all the way ☔ .

I told him about my pain and concerns and he said they are all normal. I'm pushing my posture to an abnormal position and every muscle and ligament are complaining. He said I've been compensating my posture for too long and now, to correct it, I'm going to need hard work. My feet going outwards are because my pelvis is tilted and my knees are collapsing. He said I shouldn't walk too long until my posture is corrected.

He gave me a stronger theraband and I have to get a big pilates ball. I've had some of these annoying big balls in the past and I threw them all. I will look for the cheapest one because I will throw it away soon.

I have to put the ball on my back, between my shoulder blades leaning against a wall, thera band around my knees and roll down doing a squat opening my legs. I can't describe the pain. Not an acute one. It's like an intense exhaustion. I feel all the muscles of my leg, even the ankles. It's going to be hard, indeed.

As a curiosity, I asked him what if we don't do any exercise until everything is healed. He said this is a very controversial matter among medical experts. Some orthopedists don't prescribe any exercise and the patients end fine. Statistics say that doing the exercises as soon as possible helps the mental health and avoids adopting bad posture habits. He said that unless the patient is very ill, he recommends doing exercises to recover a normal life as soon as possible.

I hope you have a lovely weekend. X

• Janlyn
    Options

@Nurina i know you do not want to hear it but Patience, Perseverance and Pacing. That’s about how I was when my physio said the same. He said it’s more important to get your muscles working than to walk further. Quite right too. I find once I’ve walked twenty minutes my foot turns inwards and I limp, like before surgery.

I've heard people say the exercises only get us there faster but my physio says they get us as far as we want to go if we put the effort in. His view is that although I now say I’m better than before already I won’t reach my potential without proper exercise and maximising use of all muscles. Possibly more important I will damage my other hip and possibly my new one by limping.

Take care all, x