Options

Good evening all,

I’ve recently found out that I have osteoarthritis in my knee I’m convinced now I have it in both knees as I’m getting the same pain. I am on naproxen and Zapain which don’t ease the pain at all I have gone back to my gp and he has now referred me to a pain clinic. I wanted to know if any one had advice on sleeping at night I just can’t get comfortable with the pain it constantly wakes me in the night I can’t remember last time I had a full good night sleep. I do also have back problems which don’t help as I’m in pain with that too 😞

Comments

• noddingtonpete
    noddingtonpete Moderator Posts: 1,038
    Options

Hello @Jayne_44 and welcome to the Community. We are a friendly and supportive group and I hope that will be your experience as well.

Have a look at the following from our website which I hope will be of some use to you.

Please keep posting and let us know how you are getting on.

Best wishes

Peter

Need more help? - call our Helpline on0800 5200 520Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Jayne_44
    Jayne_44 Member Posts: 3
    Options

Thank you so much I’m so happy I came across this community 🥰

• Baloo
    Baloo Member Posts: 418
    edited 23. Jan 2024, 21:38
    Options

@Jayne_44 I suspect the name of the game is to keep weight off the affected joints with pillows, which is completely against normal life, but I found they helped until I found my favourite answer.

On sleep I found helpful to know sleep isn't all night long anyway. The first full cycle is done in only a few hours then no matter what you do, your system has another go and another and another. It's incredible.

• Charlestown
    Charlestown Member Posts: 254
    Options

Hi @Jayne_44

welcome & please join Vals cafe on here theyre a friendly bunch & its a good wsy to make new friends. I am new also.

i have imflammatory osteoarthritis that flares up quite bad in my knees , fingers, wrists & now physio thinks in my lower spine.

My scistica flare ups are caused by me shifting my weight due to taking pressure off a sore knee.

please be mindful of your knee giving way up or down stairs it can be dangerous. I take hydroxychloroquine but its doing anything. I take naproxen at times too. A hot water bottle us a big help, its hood for my sciatica or on a sore joint or try a heat wrap. Hot /cold treatment is good for sore joints & to help with yr back/knees i sometimes sleep with a folded pillow between my knees.

i usually go swimming & walk more most of the year just not over winter. Aqua aerobics is great too i did it for years & will start again in spring.

Dont overdo the excercise. Try hot & cold method on affected joints. Take a hot water bottle to bed at night. I didnt find psin clinic sny use as there is very little the can do. Maybe talk to them about changing medication. Check with your go if your ok to take an anti immflammatory before bedtime.

let us know how you get on & again plse join Vals cafe you can get great advice & support from new friends 💕