Advice about using a computer mouse

Options

Hi all, my first posting.

I've recently been diagnosed with OA and am trying to make life a little easier. I use my laptop very frequently - I'm a researcher - and need to look at a different mouse to the one I'm currently using. At the moment I'm using the traditional type of mouse I've used for many years and now getting quite a lot of pain doing this.

It's been suggested that an ergonomic mouse may help. Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions on this?

I'd really appreciate thoughts on this.

Bonnington

Tagged:

Comments

• noddingtonpete
    noddingtonpete Moderator Posts: 1,047
    Options

Hi @Bonnington and welcome to the Community. We are a friendly and supportive group and I hope that will be your experience as well.

I know what you mean about mice. I have Osteoarthritis in my hands and mice can be a problem. I've tried ergonomic mice and they do help. Also changing form one to the other frequently I find also helps

We cannot endorse a particular one on the Community but have a look around - I think they certainly help.

Best wishes

Peter

Need more help? - call our Helpline on0800 5200 520Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Bonnington
    Bonnington Member Posts: 2
    Options

Very many thanks, Peter.

Your comments about ergonomic mice and changing mice frequently are something I'll bear in mind.

Kindest Regards

Bonnington

• Ellen
    Ellen Moderator Posts: 1,644
    Options

I use an ergonomic mouse @Bonnington and I swear by it. Obviously as Peter says I can't name it but it makes life far more comfortable.

Best of luck

Ellen.

• ChrisG9
    ChrisG9 Member Posts: 6
    Options

I also use a mouse rest as support which works well for me. If you get the opportunity try to test ergonomic mice first. I have OA in my wrists and hands and some ergonomic mice aggravated the pain even more as they forced my hand into an uncomfortable position

• Trish9556
    Trish9556 Member Posts: 542
    Options

Hi @Bonnington

Before I retired I used a mouse mat with a wrist rest which was brillliant. If you're using a traditional keyboard it is best to have it at an angle rather than flat as well.

Trish

• Emmasknackeredjoints
    Options

I love my mouse , you hold side ways not over the top so much better for the wrist joint.

X

• karynkai
    karynkai Member Posts: 1
    Options

Hi,

I just joined this community after finding it when doing a search on laptop mouse touchpad alternatives. I am having severe elbow pain with my laptop, which I guess is similar to tennis elbow. I’ve been experimenting with using my left hand, of course, but I’m also experimenting with turning my palm face-up and using my knuckles on the touchpad. Does anyone have experience doing this? I couldn’t feel anything on Google related to this “upside down” way of using the mouse pad.

(I also discovered on Google that sometimes a vertical mouse is recommended but I haven’t tried that yet.)

• Ellen
    Ellen Moderator Posts: 1,644
    Options

Welcome to the online community @karynkai

Two of us moderators have sideways mice if that's what you mean by vertical a more natural position for the hand to rest I think.

I think your knuckle method very interesting too.

Do have a look at these threads on the subject of computer mice

Best wishes

Ellen.