More medication

Options

Been on leflunomide 20mg for 12 months they have now started me methotrexate due to pain and stiffness. Is this normal and are there any bad side affect to look out for

Thanks ian

Tagged:

Comments

• jamieA
    jamieA Member Posts: 711
    Options

Hi @davieselite

I think there's quite a few of us here who are on more than one drug. I'm on 3 - the DMARDs sulfasalazine and methotrexate and the biologic adalimumab. My rheumatologist said that the three work together to give a greater benefit than each individually - I think the term is synergistic - or as she termed it 1+1+1>3. I think different people have different reactions to MTX but one that seems most common is fatigue after taking your weekly dose.

• davieselite
    Options

Hi JamieA

Thanks for your reply I have been told to take methotrexate on Monday morning which I did today but the side affects are not good as I'm working full time (in pain) so have felt tired and sick all day. I've noticed that others on the group take it either before bed or on a weekend so can I change to that or do I need to speak to the consultant first.

Thanks

• jamieA
    jamieA Member Posts: 711
    Options

Hi @davieselite

I was never told to take it on an exact date to my recollection - I just took it the day the prescription was fulfilled. I'm sure you can move your day to suit your needs as long as you also move your folic acid days to ensure you don't take both together. Due to me taking 7 different drugs and a supplement my drugs come in blister packs - or dosette boxes as they are also known. So I'd need notify my pharmacist if I changed my MTX day.

• Welsh1
    Welsh1 Member Posts: 73
    Options

Yes I take mine in the evening but find the side effects can be 24 hours after

• Woofy
    Woofy Member Posts: 274
    Options

Was told to take mine after my evening meal. I take mine on a Thursday, as at the time I started I didn’t work on a Friday, so if there were going to be any side effects, at least I didn’t have to drag myself out to work.

check with your RA dept. I am sure it will be fine to swap days times.

• MrDJ
    MrDJ Member Posts: 279
    Options

I was told to pick a day so 23 years ago i picked saturday lunchtime after a meal.

i then take folic acid every day except saturday.

Its best to always inform the doctor you want to change days and i would suggest to miss a week then start on the new day as if you took monday then wanted to change to say saturday thats only 5 days and there must be 7 days between doses.