Not ready for hip replacements

Options

I have OA mainly affecting my spine and hands. I recently had severe pain in both hips and the Xrays show moderate to severe degeneration in both hips and my GP says she will refer me for hip replacements. I'm very reluctant to go through surgery at the moment as I have good movement in both hips thanks to gym and exercising and the pain has eased off and controlled with paracetamol and ibuprofen. Should I wait or ask for the referral now on the basis that by the time I get to the top of the waiting list I will need it? I would appreciate other members opinions and experiences.

Comments

• Naomi33
    Naomi33 Moderator Posts: 278
    Options

Hello @ChrisBlea and welcome to the online community.

Sorry to hear your concerns about hips, personally I would ask for referral and get onto list but I am sure there are others on the forum who have had hip replacements and OA would advise you so keep positing.

The following links maybe of help.....

Best wishes @Naomi33

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Nurina
    Nurina Member Posts: 285
    Options

I'd ask for the referral and see how you feel when the time comes. I'm telling you my experience, that it doesn't have to be the same as your. For a long time I had some pain, but manageable. I thought I could beat it with exercise, healthy food, physiotherapy, ibuprofen. But one day the pain didn't go and I couldn't walk anymore. It was too late to wait two years and I had to pay for a private surgery. I hope everything goes well with you.

• Janlyn
    Janlyn Member Posts: 363
    Options

It is quite possibly a good idea to get on the list - especially if you are in an area with long waiting lists. You can always postpone/cancel if it’s not right for you nearer the time. My own situation was that I resisted, tried exercising and everything else I could think of, but my hip degenerated quickly then I was up against a long, painful wait.

I went on an Escape Pain course recommended by my GP which I found helpful too.

Wishing you all the very best.

• swimmer60
    swimmer60 Member Posts: 202
    Options

My experience is the same as Nurina and Janlyn.

• deepfaeffli
    Options

I am coming up to my second attempt to get my right hip replaced. First time I was sent home from pre op theatre room because of a wound on my ankle. I then decided I just could not cope with an op so cancelled the rapid reop date and left it for three years. Now I have got myself referred again and seen same surgeon whose happy to go ahead again but says the MRI of hip does not show much increase of arthritis in that hip. Five times a week Pilates have eased the pain considerably and yesterday I walked 12000 steps. Now I don’t know what to do! Having the operation would anihilate all the muscle strengthening I have done and feels like a huge set back. I’m 78.

• ItsjustLisa
    ItsjustLisa Member Posts: 23
    Options

@deepfaeffli I would say you've been incredibly lucky. I'm 54 and was a professional gardener but my OA has gotten progressively worse over the past 3 years, even with walking and average of 20k paces a day, pilates and strength training. Both of my hips are now bone on bone and I can hardly manage 5k.

Everyone is different, in my opinion you're far better to get referred and an update on your condition than leave it and end up in my situation. If you don't want to go ahead, you can cancel. I did that 2 years ago because I wasn't prepared and was terrified but I really wish I hadn't.

• john62
    john62 Member Posts: 79
    Options

In your position I would go ahead with the referral, you can always assess the situation when your turn comes around but at least you are in the system and going forward. I went on for two years or so with OA in both hips before I was referred, some days were OK others not so good. I found that going from bearable pain to non bearable pain happened over a very short period of time despite being very active. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

• Ellen
    Ellen Moderator Posts: 1,633
    Options

Hi @deepfaeffli

Such a difficult decision you need to make. I can see why you might be hesitant to go straight ahead given that they are saying your MRI shows your Arthritis hasn't deteriorated much since your last scan some years ago. Your hard work seems to have paid off.

Obviously this is very much a personal decision and one that has to be yours. The surgeon is 'happy to go ahead' and was happy 3 years ago too. So they thought it was ready for surgery then is that their opinion now?

As itsjustlisa said you can always cancel/postpone again if you decide t go ahead and then change your mind.

Best of luck

Ellen.

• alwayssewing
    Options

@deepfaeffli I think you are mistaken in thinking your muscle strength will be annihilated . The work you have done will stand you in good stead and you will be mobilising from day 2 with them getting you standing and maybe doing a little walk the same day as your op.

I found my muscles were so much better after the operation with the pain and crunching gone I went to the bathroom on my own on the morning of day 2 and I was home before evening the same day, able to climb the stairs. The hardest bit was learning to carry the other crutch up and down the stairs but I got it eventually.

• Janlyn
    Janlyn Member Posts: 363
    Options

@deepfaeffli I agree with @alwayssewing the work you have done on your muscles and your walking will definitely stand you in good stead. I was expected to mobilise without hours of my op and I have to say my strength in my muscles helped enormously in my recovery, especially as my pain had disappeared. But clearly the decision is yours - you know how you feel and how bad your hip is - please just bear in mind some of us have progressed from mild pain to massive pain quickly, but then if you're managing 12k steps and pilates most days maybe you won't?