RA symptoms & Mental Health

Options

Hello,

I am experiencing symptoms of RA which include elbow pain (both), ankle pain (both - previously diagnosed as achillies tendonitis and one of which has lumps) and knee pain (both).

My elbows hurt when I push/pull/lift an object; such as getting dressed, drinking tea, opening a door. And when pushing my glasses further up my face.

The areas are red but not swollen, except for my right ankle. I don't always have pain in, for example, both elbows at the same point in the day, but I do have the pain usually in both elbows for some length of time during each day.

I am already diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, and have heard that the two have a high comorbidity. I have been taking CBD for the Fibro for about 2 years now, although I think I may need to stop, because it can interact with medication in the same way grapefruit can.

I am also diagnosed with a mental illness.

I have had a very difficult time with the NHS in the past. I am reluctant to go to them and distrustful in general. It's hard enough just posting this message on a forum, if I'm honest.

Anyway. My plan is to purchase a Rheumatoid Factor blood test, to see if I can get some kind of picture of things, before going to my GP.

I understand no one here can diagnose me, but does my condition sound at all similar to anyone here with RA? Please be gentle with me.

Tagged:

Comments

• chrisb
    chrisb Moderator Posts: 682
    Options

Hi @Fever

Welcome to the versus arthritis forum.

Thank you for sharing the detail of your journey to date which will certainly help forum members to respond with relevant feedback and support.

You may well have already visited our website but just in case, here are a couple of links that may be useful:

I hope you receive some useful input from members who are a very friendly bunch and will I’m sure help support you.

In addition, if you feel that talking to our helpline would help then their details are below.

I hope that joining the forum proves to be a beneficial experience. 

Best Wishes

ChrisB (Moderator)

Need more help - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Welsh1
    Welsh1 Member Posts: 73
    Options

Hi what would be your plan if you are found to have RA meds? Are the tests effective

• Fever
    Fever Member Posts: 3
    Options

If I was found to have RA, I would try the meds. I couldn't afford a private consultation, so I would need to go to the GP.

I have no way of knowing whether the tests are effective or not. Just going off the website I found, there seems to be only an 80% likelihood if you have RA that you will show up on the RF test.

I hate the thought of going to a Rheumatologist. I hate the thought of having a discussion about this with my GP. I would bank on the test, if it were positive, to prompt me to go, however.

The test costs £55 which is a lot of money for me.