RA and issues with teeth

Options

I have RA and take injected methotrexate once a week and hydroxychloroquine twice a day. Recently I have had to have a decayed tooth removed and getting pain with some of my other teeth . Does anyone else get problems like this

Comments

• SNapCrackle_Pop
    Options

I'm newly diagnosed with RA and Sjogren's. I've been on Hydroxychloroquine for the last year and now methotrexate. I take so much care of my teeth, I floss, brush, and use interdental brushes. Yet I have experienced tooth pain leading to an extraction, unusually high amounts of fillings needed and worse still, random tooth crumbling. I have spoken with my dentist and they have prescribed high flouride toothpaste to strengthen the teeth. It reduces cavities and pain. My teeth hurt after each methotrexate dose, day 2 I'd say....Perhaps ask your dentist for advice?

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,429
    Options

Have a read of this:

It's NRAS so a reliable source.

Toni x

• Splodge
    Splodge Member Posts: 14
    Options

It may be nothing to do with the medication and just a coincidence. I've had awful teeth issues on and off since years before RA. Even with good oral hygiene we can be victims of random tooth-related nastiness.

• Poppyjane
    Poppyjane Moderator Posts: 758
    Options

Hi @SNapCrackle_Pop , a belated welcome to the online community

It is great to see a new member offering support on their first post. That illustrates what our community is all about - supporting each other whist we cope with the challenges of living with arthritis. The article mentioned by @Frogmorton is an interesting read and has provoked some useful discussions. Also the V A information provided about Sjogren's mentions the potential for mouth problems.

You are wisely following the advice of your dentist and using a sensitive toothpaste. I attach an old but still relevant discussion between some members on the subject

Do join us again soon we look forward to hearing from you.

Best wishes

Poppyjane

If it would be helpful to talk to someone ring the Helpline 0800 5200 520

Monday - Friday 9.00a.m. - 6.00p.m.

• jamieA
    jamieA Member Posts: 711
    edited 15. Mar 2024, 12:21
    Options

Hi @StevieB

I take sulfasalazine, MTX tablets and adalimumab biologic injections. About a year after starting these treatments I had 3 separate instances of pieces of different teeth breaking off. I look after my teeth brushing and mouthwash at least twice a day. My dentist reckoned it may be due to the drugs I take - I also take 3 heart drugs. Like @SNapCrackle_Pop my dentist prescribed high flouride toothpaste - 2800ppm flouride. It's prescription only medication so you can't buy it over the counter. I ran out of it last month and I can't get an appointment with my dentist until May. However the receptionist said although it's prescription only medication the dental practice can sell it. It was £10 for a 75ml tube!